• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Attaching an ST80

Celeste

I bought an ST80 for a guidescope, bought everything I needed to attach it to my scope (as advised by FLO) BUT....I cannot in anyway fix either to the other :( I have been told by someone I have to DRILL holes in the dovetail......FLO should have told me that. I don't have a drill, and TBH I don't get on with them. I was also told to buy 2 clamps....they clamp to the dovetail ok...but won't attach to anything else ARGH!! Someone please tell me how I get this lot fixed so I can use my ST80 for what I bought it for pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee. I must be missing the obvious somewhere but I can't see it.

Just change the ST80 plastic "block" for a standard short dovetail bar and screw the rings onto that. Then you can attach it to any dovetail shoe. Alternatively screw the ST80 rings directly onto a plate on top of the main scope rings - you'll get a guide star every time even though the two scopes aren't perfectly aligned. It'll reduce the chance of any flexure. :)

PM me if you'd like to drop over with the gear and I'll drill it for you - or get you set up somehow. :)

Edited by Brantuk

Ok, so I have a 21cm dovetail which fits my scope fine

9b2a647e-7260-4384-a56a-780b54dec7a7_zps

The problem starts on how do I then attach it to the ST80 rings, the pre drilled holes are too close....I put on a clamp here too just to see how it went 

264b0546-8af6-4fcd-a484-cd6262448b91_zps

so I removed the block off the ST80 and moved the rings closer to match the dovetail. Looks pretty stupid like that!

03eda340-f7b5-42a0-8d4f-95e6d5554d0c_zps

looks like you need to drill another hole or can you remove the block then attach the st 80 rings to the clamps then the clamps fit onto the dovetail ? 

Looks like you just need an extra hole or two drilled to spread the ST80 rings further apart. But they would also need tapping with a thread and I don't have a tapping kit. You could bolt them on but the bolts would stick out under the dovetail defeating the purpose. I use recessed dovetails so the bolt can fit flush inside.

This is the sort of thing I use: http://www.altairastro.com/altair-tms-vixen-synta-dovetail-bar-blue-anodised.html

Edited by Brantuk

looks like you need to drill another hole or can you remove the block then attach the st 80 rings to the clamps then the clamps fit onto the dovetail ? 

How do I attach the clamps to the ST80? There's 2 holes in each clamp, yet only one hole in each ring  :unsure:  Seems like it's drilling....I should have been told about that BEFORE buying.

Looks like you just need an extra hole or two drilled to spread the ST80 rings further apart. But they would also need tapping with a thread and I don't have a tapping kit. You could bolt them on but the bolts would stick out under the dovetail defeating the purpose. I use recessed dovetails so the bolt can fit flush inside.

This is the sort of thing I use: http://www.altairastro.com/altair-tms-vixen-synta-dovetail-bar-blue-anodised.html

That one seems better....might just order one instead of messing around drilling  :unsure:   :(

That plastic block is the naffest mounting accessory I ever saw - threw mine away I was so disgusted with it. And I'm not too keen on the SW bars either - I use mostly ADM and one Altair bar nowadays.

The one you linked is OOS so can't get that one, will have a look tomorrow for something else. I'm a bit annoyed with it TBH, the drilling should have come up in the conversation in someway.

should really have to drill, as Kim says the cheap SW ones are not that good, if you manage to bolt though them the bolt head sticks out, with ADM and others the bar is recessed so the bolt head sits flush,

i`d ring FLO and explain, they will take it back no worries.

AHA! One conversation with Steve from Flo and VOILA! I have a guide scope lol....and not a drill in sight. Phew! Now...SHHHHHHHH don't say it out loud but it's looking not too bad for tonight, so might get out and have a play with the guider after my Zumba class. More headache time haha, wish me luck, i'm going in. If you don't see me again for a few days, send in the rescue party please :P

354fd70b-ed60-4e09-9786-ca3d516e2e07_zps

looking good,

it`ll be good for tonight, i`m sure because i`ve have sent my camera back to FLO and i`m off work for 3 days, and will be without a camera for at least the next 5 days so i`ll be the clearest weekend for months.  

Good luck. I get totally confused with the terminology, dovetail, recessed, etc, which makes even the discussions hard to picture items in my head.