• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

No I have not moved over to the dark side, I'm just visiting.

Daz Type-R

So then guys and gals, I have managed to borrow a Cannon 350D ready for this weekends lunar eclipse as I would like to take some basic pictures. I don't have a tracking mount, I just have the 350D, a tripod and a remote shutter thingy. It also has come with a 300x zoom lens.

Question, what ISO, shutter speed and appeture will I need to photograph the moon?

And just to be clear, the camera is going back on Monday.

;)

Edited by Daz Type-R

Welcome to the dark side Daz we all knew you would come over sooner or later.  :strut:  :strut:  :strut:

When I was using my 350 D on the scope I would be running around ISO 200

and shutter speed of around 1/1000 sec.

It all depends on how bright it is.

If the image is dark reduce the shutter speed if it is blown out then increase it.

Edited by Graham

Slippery slope...

Lunar this weekend, planetary next weekend. Then he'll be flogging an Ethos to get an entry level CCD to grab some nebulae :)

The dark side has claimed another victim :D  :D

Focus is important, use liveview if the camera has it and focus manually.

Set speed at ISO 200

Then, with the moon in the middle of the viewfinder, adjust exposure to mid level on the meter and take a snap. View it, if its blown out then speed the exposure up a bit more, or visa versa if too dim, but it wont be. Repeat until you get a nice exposure with good contrast between maria and highlands. Then go for it. 

However as the moon goes into shadow you will have to slow the speed down a bit to compensate and keep a good exposure

Oh and then when it comes out of eclipse you will have to speed it up again

Edited by philjay

Thanks for all the advice guys, appreciated. The camera does not have live view so I'm doing manual focus best I can. I have the ISO set at 200, been trying 1/1000 but it seems a tad dark, so going now to try 1/800.

And I can assure you all now, after Monday morning, the camera goes back.

Thanks for all the advice guys, appreciated. The camera does not have live view so I'm doing manual focus best I can. I have the ISO set at 200, been trying 1/1000 but it seems a tad dark, so going now to try 1/800.

If it is still too dark up the ISO to 400

And the order goes in for a nice shiny new Atik  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Edited by Graham

Just like you have to adjust exposure for terrestrial photography due to lighting etc you have to do the same for lunar, there isnt one set of settings that will get the right exposure. Try adjusting the speed and iso till you get it right. I keep iso fixed at 200 and just adjust speed then theres only one thing to mess with plus 200 is less noisy.

Dont worry aboùt poor exposures, its digital, they dont cost owt, take loads till you get it right, you can always delete the bad ones and nobody will know :-)

Dont rush to give the camera back, try some widefield next and come over to the dark side properly :-)

Edited by philjay

If I can get my body away from it's duvet home, I will give taking pictures of the Lunar spectacle myself. I reckon that with a bit of messing about in manual mode, I might be able to turn something out. I say taking pictures, as opposed to imaging. cough cough!

Errr, yeah, that's what I'm doing.........

Spent the last 2 nights faffing around with the silly thing, ISO this, F ratio that, shutter speed the other.......

Think I will stick to observing.

I've seen the dark side and it's a pita.

:P

:lol: :lol:  he's started on the slope!! What camera you bringing to EMS4 then Daz? :lol: :lol:

he can borrow mt astro modded 40D, will be all set then :rofl: