• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Upgrade to Focuser on SCT

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Good evening all

I am looking to upgrade my focused on the SCT to use with the ASI120 to either:

1 - Moonlight Crayford

2 - Feathertouch microfocus that replaces the standard focuser

3 - JMI motofocus

I am leaning to the moonlight as it takes focus shift out of the equation but are there any problems in using one for planetary on an SCT, or would the feathertouch/JMI control mirror shift sufficiently?

I use the Feathertouch on the 925. But as you say - the Moonlight removes mirror shift so may be better for imaging. On mine there's not a lot of clearance due to the dual arm alt/az design - but on an EQ mount you should be ok. :)

I bought a Moonlight for the 16" at work and must say it has been a very worth while purchase. Very good quality indeed and works so smoothly it is a real pleasure to use. For use as primarily an imaging rig I would suggest the motorised version would be a wise investment.

I bought the Moonlite crayford for my C8 to remove the problem of mirror shift.  

I have used it with my ASI120MC and Nikon D610 DSLR and it has worked great with both cameras.

moonlite.jpg

• Like 1

if your looking to use it for focusing while at the laptop, then a motor focuser is a good idea, makes life so much easier.

Guest CodnorPaul

You cant post pictures like that on here TasKiNG - one of the mods will take it off and give you a warning!

Edited by CodnorPaul