• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Deaf Cold Callers Selling "Art"

Brantuk

Beware of these scam artists - one called at my house today and I wasn't even sure if he was actually deaf or just acting. Tried to sell me supposedly drawings done by himself whereas they are in fact photocopies.

They're working in teams in Leicester and Nottingham at the moment - it's illegal to cold call and the Police want reports of any such activity. I didn't get caught out fortunately - but Di's brother did last night in Nottingham when a deaf girl called at the door and he paid £20 for two photocopies.

The subject matter includes - horses, tall ships, landscapes, dappy eyed dogs, kids in wedding page boy and brides maid gear, and a bridge in Venice. They are very good at applying pressure to buy playing on your emotions. In reality it's disgusting what they do and giving genuine deaf folks a bad name. Here's a link to the same stuff going on last year:

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/13733

If they appear at my place again they'll be going away blind as well as deaf lol. :)

Edited by Brantuk

I tell them they have about 1.8 seconds to get off the drive, or I let Bruno loose. I also don't tell them Bruno is a fat lazy assed cat who can barely keep his eyes open, it makes me chuckle.

I told them I didn't want to buy their portraits, and to vacate my property, but they didn't! I think my words were just falling on deaf ears.

• Like 2

Good grief, I remember when I was a kid in the 60s getting deaf and dumb artists trying to flog pictures at the door, they didn't get much joy from us cos .....

we were poor... but we were appy :lol:  :lol:

Aww I had a deaf guy on my door once selling art, it wasn't a photocopy at all (I can rub off/smudge the pencil with my fingers) so not all are scammers. Didn't cost me anywhere near 20 either. I will watch out for them though, giving the genuine in need a bad name is disgusting. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up Kim.

Why don't they sell useful stuff like TV Ethos, Delos,.. Explore scientific, etc eyepieces etc? 😊