• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Amateur Lunar Mission

catman161

Up to  $100 million (£66,000,000) is a lot of money however it is funded just to crash and leave a time capsule on the moon and not discover anything. These things often crash and burn at an early stage even when done by the big agencies. It could be interesting for a pound each from everyone in the UK.

"This would launch a 150 kilogram (330 pound) spacecraft to the Moon, which would carry with it a tiny “spike†filled with digital information, such as photos and messages from people on Earth."

I'm thinking the 100 million dollars could be put to better use :/

I do like the idea of these time capsule type things though.

As a child I buried a large glass peanut butter jar deep in the garden, stuffed full of my scribbles about the things I liked in 1970 - including astronomy. I said I would dig it up in the year 2000 but never did, and my parents had moved from that house in about 1988.

I keep thinking about knocking on the door of the old house to see if they needed a spot of gardening doing :) The stuff was well sealed in plastic bags and I'd love to find it again.