• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

SCS Astro

Tweedledee

Does anyone know what has happened to SCS Astro. Their website has been unavailable for a couple of weeks.

Hmmm. I just get "Wordpress Error - This site is no longer available" when clicking...

www.scsastro.co.uk/‎

I've been getting that message for two weeks and the same tonight every time I try.

Refresh / Reload the page after it comes up with the error message - Right click normally brings up the menu with refresh/reload on - worth a try.

Tried refresh/reload but still get the same error. If I type the web address or click a link, it is not available. Spoke to SCS about the problem and they don't understand it, so it is something in my system. It does not happen with any other site just SCS.

Anyone got any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong.

only thing the geeks tell me every time is to clear your cache so it cant load from there

What browser are you using? - have you a 2nd one to try - e.g. I use Chrome but still have IE as back up just in case there is a compatibility problem. Or see if you have IE(no Add ons) loaded and try that - depends on MS Win ver etc etc

Shelia is right us "geeks" would tell you to clear out the browser cache as browsers try to make things look faster (bit like VW :ph34r: ) by using existing data - bit like astro stacking ;)  Trouble is your provider maybe using a proxy to provide you with web sites and they are having problem.  You could enter the IP address  216.121.96.242 but they probably share the IP address with someone else but it would be interesting to see if you get any response! - like "unauthorised access" :)

Edited by stash

Thanks Clive.

It works fine on another browser, but the site is still unavailable in Firefox. Can't see a way to clear the cache in Firefox which is running on Linux.

Just a pain having to use Chrome just for SCS.

As you said, I get unauthorised acces when using the IP address.

:dontknow:

Edited by Tweedledee

Thanks Clive.

It works fine on another browser, but the site is still unavailable in Firefox. Can't see a way to clear the cache in Firefox which is running on Linux.

Just a pain having to use Chrome just for SCS.

As you said, I get unauthorised acces when using the IP address.

:dontknow:

Top right of the screen Pete below the red X (to close the browser) there should be 3 horizontal bars, click them, this gives you a drop down, click history, then click clear recent history then choose to delete everything or tick / un-tick what you want to clear.

Thanks Darren, I found it deep inside a different menu system. I see mine is set to "Never remember history" but I can still clear it along with the other options.

That still doesn't let me get SCSAstro though. Weird! :lol:

Thanks Darren. A bit more info in case you can help further.

I type www.scsastro.co.uk or click a link to it. It then opens up what looks to be SCSAstros website for just half a second or less. Then the address bar shows scsastro.mobi which was a mobile website they abandoned. The Wordpress > error shows in the tab. See attached before and after screen shots...

SCS1.jpg

SCS2.jpg

I've just tried a Fedora Linux box on that site. Worked fine for me. Any extra detail you can add?

I've just tried a Fedora Linux box on that site. Worked fine for me. Any extra detail you can add?

Thanks Leigh. Nothing more I can really add except the following...

For me  Firefox version or plugin problem !

Thanks for the info Clive. I think you've hit the nail on the head :thumbsup:

I'm using an older version of Firefox, which will not update until I get a newer version of Linux. I have a dual boot system with stuff I use on Win 7, although I do most stuff on Linux. I haven't tried updating the Linux because I would almost certainly bodge it all up. I have been leaving it alone thinking "if it ain't broke....". Well, it is obviously now starting to break :facepalm:

In light of the above, I have now found a local guy who is confident to update it all, while maintaining the dual boot and all my bookmarks and info in both operating systems.

Sorry for wasting your time with this, it seems the SCS Astro website anomaly was just a symptom of bigger problems. Cheers :)

Thanks Leigh. Nothing more I can really add except the following...

Thanks for the info Clive. I think you've hit the nail on the head :thumbsup:

I'm using an older version of Firefox, which will not update until I get a newer version of Linux. I have a dual boot system with stuff I use on Win 7, although I do most stuff on Linux. I haven't tried updating the Linux because I would almost certainly bodge it all up. I have been leaving it alone thinking "if it ain't broke....". Well, it is obviously now starting to break :facepalm:

In light of the above, I have now found a local guy who is confident to update it all, while maintaining the dual boot and all my bookmarks and info in both operating systems.

Sorry for wasting your time with this, it seems the SCS Astro website anomaly was just a symptom of bigger problems. Cheers :)

Not wasting time glad to help  :) 

• Like 2