• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY DC Power Supply to Canon EOS 1000D

gfletcher

Hi Guys

Not wanting to spend approx £43 on a DC Power Supply for a  Canon EOS 1000D from Astronomiser i was wondering whether anyone has produced their own and could give an outline as to how this would be achieved.

thanks

Graham

Guest peepshow

I have two Canon cameras. 

Both have power supplies working well bought on eBay. 

Each one was less than £15 new.

Edited by peepshow

I bought one from tmart for my canon 1100d ,its in China, cost less than £8 delivered and has worked flawlessly.

Are we talking about 240v main to DC charger or 12v dc to 7.4v power supply - I thought the later. Most of the power adapters are 240v ac mains or just 12v to 7.4v battery chargers - confused

Some are mains voltage adaptors that step down to approx voltage needed by the Canon - 7v DC or just over. I can find the link for the one i got, which was from the uk for i think about £14, or may £12. Like Rob says, you can get them direct from China and cheaper. The lower cost is worth a punt anyway.

But when I looked them up, there were several. Some didnt come with the 240 mains adapter cable - some looked like American mains two pin cables, so check the descriptions and photos of all the parts that come with it.

I ended up not using it yet (but still time for long winter sessions ). I bought two spare batteries for my 1100d for about £6. So now, i have a Canon original battery and two equivalents. When one runs out, i have two fully charged slares and just recharge the last one used. Otherwise, it's another mains adapter cable outside. The adaptor cable that comes isn't that long so if your camera was more than a couple of metres from the house, you'd need a long mains adapter cable going to a mains supply in the house.

Edited by Orion

Yeh I had seen them - see Jessops  are try and sell one for £224  :o ok its a canon and for the 5d

Maybe I will buy one and mod it to hold a variable DC-DC Brick or just do as you do Ron have 4 batteries. its simpler to swap batteries  :D

Dam they don't do a 100d version unless one of the others are compatible - anyone know ?

Edited by stash

Hi Graham...in a nut shell..get one of these that suits your camera...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACK-E5-AC-Power-Adapter-DR-E5-DC-Coupler-For-CANON-EOS-450D-500D-1000D-XS-XSi-/390644137730?hash=item5af4347f02

Rip the insides out but leave the mains and DC cables where they are...

Replace the insides with one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-Output-1-25V-35V-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-LM2596-Power-Supply/291548703410?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33745%26meid%3D7e5bdb3b40174203add0870001ac8ede%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D271968056828

Cut the plug off the mains lead and replace with a cigarette plug or whatever suits.

Just make sure the polarity is right and you have adjusted the voltage on your converter to suit your camera and your good to go..i will find the original link somewhere...it works as its what i use now..

Thanks Wayne. Would it be possible to just cut the cable off the 1st item (where it enters the box ) and attach a cigar lighter plug to the cable?

If i understand you right Graham then no....that would put 12v or even 13.8v depending on what supply you have straight into the camera...my 500D is 7.4v...you really don't want anymore than the recommended without frying it...your battery in the camera should tell you what volt the camera is...the second item is a volt stepper that reduces the input "13.8v?" down to 7.4v

hope that helps bud

This might help a bit mate but its not the one i followed which showed you how to dismantle the items, although simply enough..

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/Canon-dslr-power-supply.html

Ignore the stepper as this has a voltmeter on it where as the original post does not

Edited by Brady

• 2 weeks later...

You need to get a volt meter on the cables that are coming out of the unit and there is a tiny screw on the top, can't remember which way it goes but you will see it shift on the meter when you turn it...keep turning it though Graham, it looks like it's knackered then all of a sudden it will come down..I think it's set at 13v but not sure..thinking about it I'm sure you tighten it to bring the volts down but you will work it out mate...