• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Atmospheric Dispersion Correctors

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Hi all

Has anyone got any experience with these - are they useful for Planetary imaging when the object is lower in the sky?

My understand is they could be as the dispersion does not only give colour fringing but also blurs the respective RGB channels, which cannot be removed during processing, due to the different focal points of the individual channels.

I know Dawson has one but he doesn't get on with it - anyone else?

Damian Peach mentioned them in his talk last Saturday.

Someone in the audience asked the cost of them in the Q&A bit afterwards.

I think a figure of around £150-£200 was mentioned ??

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5992_Pierro-Astro-ADC-MKII-Atmospheric-Dispersion-Corrector-with-T2-connection.html

http://www.damianpeach.com/images/articles/JBAA%20dispersion%20Peach.pdf

This is on my wishlist.

I haven't actually used one but have read good reviews and spoken to others who sing their praises, that's from visual and planetary imagers

This is on my wishlist.

I haven't actually used one but have read good reviews and spoken to others who sing their praises, that's from visual and planetary imagers

Same here

When we had Damian speak to us at Dawson's house that time he spoke at length about these. He did mention though that the model he had most success with you can no longer get hold of. He said that the readily available models on the market today take a bit of getting used to but can be extremely useful pieces of kit for imaging planets at low altitudes.

Edited by catman161

Guest HykehamObservatory

I use one for planetary imaging. They do take a bit of getting used to. You have to get the orientation relative to the horizon correct otherwise they don't work (and can make matters worse). I originally used mine on my 12 inch Newtonian but gave this up as the horizon in the eyepiece rotates with azimuth position. I now have the telescope on a home built dobsonian mount and a home built equatorial platform which makes setting the orientation a lot easier and keeps the orientation correct for much longer. You only really see the benefit if the image size is one or two arc minutes.