• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi.

Guest Jay43

Hi every one. Thought I would join your forum as I'm starting to get more and more interested in astronomy.

Don't have a telescope at the moment but I have all ready dropped a few hints what I would like for my birthday to the Mrs ( a telescope ) haha.

So il have a look on the forum and hopefully talk to you all about more.

Jay.

Hi Martin.

Thank you for the welcome.

I have been looking at the Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT. Which looks pretty easy to use for a first timer with the GOTO.

It seems to have a good review and is small enough not to take up to much room.

I am still looking through a few but the SLT range I keep going back to.

What would your view be on this telescope Martin.

Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard. I would wait a little while before buying your first scope. The goto are good but you need some idea of what your doing and you pay alot just for the mount.

Come along to a meet and have a look at, and a play, with some kit to get an idea of what you want out of a scope before you spend your pennies. Get yourself a pair of binoculars for the time being and just learn the sky, this will help alot when you do get a scope. I've got a couple of scopes and still use my bins more and the're only 10x50.

Hi Jason and welcome to EMS. :)

Sound advice there from Andy - you really need to do a lot of research before buying a scope and it's a great idea to try before you buy or you could waste a lot of time and money (especially if it's a pressie). So pop down to one of our meets asap.

The SLT coatings on the Celestron scopes are really good - but there's a lot more to picking a scope and mount than just that. Let us know your budget and aspirations and you'll get some great ideas and suggestions from the members here. All the best. :)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As stated above, whole GOTO's are great for finding things, they require initial setup which means you have to know what your looking at, if you don't know the constalations and the stars, you will he unable to do initial alignment. Saying that, it's not that difficult if you set your mind to it.

In the meantime ask any questions in the relevant section and someone will be along to answer them.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome to EMS Jason.

Yes, sound advice from Andy (Tuckstar) 

Try something out first  before you think of buying, and look for a pair of decent 7 or 10 by 50 binocs to go with any future scope purchase.

Edited by Bino-viewer

Welcome to EMS ask loads of questions. The folk on here are very knowledgable and combined know pretty much all there is to know about amateur astro [emoji4]

Morning every one. Thank you for the warm welcome all of you. And thank you for all the advice you have given.

I have got a pair of binoculars , 10x50 sorry I should of said in my post. Was out last night for a quick half hour and shown my daughter Andromeda which she was amazed at seeing for the first time.

Just need some thing better now but not to big and easy to set up and use.

Newtonian telescopes provide the best value for money due to their simple design and larger aperture. They come on two basic types of mount "equatorial" and "dobsonian". For around £300 you can get a decent Skywatcher 200P dobsonian which is simple to set up and use in a few mins.

Or you can get a 130P or 150P on an equatorial mount for between £200 and £350. Equatorial mounts can be manual or electronic goto so you need to set a budget and make some choices. As a general guide the larger the aperture the better - but nothing beats a dark site for observing with any instrument (including binocs). Makers Skywatcher and Celestron have a good range of starter scopes. :)

Have a look around First Light Optics website for an idea of what's available and make sure you ask lots of questions on the forum - it also doesn't hurt to speak to a retailer - just avoid high street shops and ebay sales until you know more about the subject. Hth :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes.html

Hi Jason, a warm welcome to EMS.

Where about's in Notts are you?

You gave already found you will get answers to any question you might have, so feel free to ask any you might have. You will also be very welcome to come along to any meets we have and have a gander through a few scopes. It will help you make up your mind before making a purchase.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks every one and thanks for the adivce . I live in sutton in Ashfield Baz. And I just might take up the offer on one of your local meets.

Hi Jason, in addition to this great forum, you are only a couple of miles away from the Mansfield (Sherwood and Sutton) observatory / club. The Obs is on Coxmoor Road, Sutton in Ashfield.

Here is the web link:

http://www.solarius.net/Pages/Articles/dbArticle.aspx?artid=society

Friendly like minded people, lots going on... Have a think about it, you could contact me or visit the Obs, on a Wednesday evening, about 7.30pm - 9.30pm. We have a mixed bag of members, from people who are new to the hobby to more experienced types...

Cheers!