• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Out of action for 6 weeks......

Bino-viewer

Learned a lesson yesterday  :blush2:

If you're going to do DIY up a ladder outside (painting) make sure your ladder is properly secured at the base (or, better still, someone holding it)

AND........definitely  don't put a ladder on slippery decking.

You can guess the rest. The weight of me (15st) 5 metres up the ladder was too much for what i'd used (not much) to secure it.

The ladder reverted to horizontal in a couple of seconds with me still on it.

Luckily for me (and i'm bloody lucky) i landed on my feet and they took the impact. A heavy impact. But after landing i 'fell well' lessoning any 

further damage. But i have :

Multiple small fractures and chipped bones to my metatarsals in my right foot.

2 dislocated toes in my left foot. Extensive bruising to both feet.

The consultant at the Derby Royal Hospital told me i was lucky i'd not fractured my back.....

Anyway, my right foot is in plaster for the next 6 weeks, and i'm stuck on crutches. Signed off sick till the end of November.

It will be difficult, but i'm so relieved it wasn't a lot worse. 

They'll be no telescopes for a while. I am however planning on sticking my head out of the window (with camera) tomorrow morning at about 05:00hrs to capture the lovely lunar / planetary conjunction in the pre dawn sky.

Hopefully back on my feet soon  :thumbsup:

21436429083_3ce9a709e2_n.jpg21869391140_a766eb5122_n.jpg22031371006_7db2cf3cf9_n.jpg

Oh dear Rob!

Rest up take it easy mate. Though you probably don't have much choice. Like you say it could have been much worse so think yourself lucky.

• Like 1

Blimey Rob!

I agree, it's a good thing you landed on your feet, or it would have been much worse.

Did you get covered in paint too?😰💦

Hope you make a full recovery ASAP.

Thank-you all for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Yes a few slops of paint on me Stephen, the paint tub was only around 1/4 full thankfully, but only water based emulsion.

I did make sure i cleaned up the mess outside, and the ladder itself before i went to hospital  :lol:

I'm getting used to life on crutches, and being house bound.

It hasn't stopped me doing astrophotography though.

Yesterdays eastern sky before dawn :  It kind of reminded me of my favourite constellation Scorpius, with Venus 'as' Antares, with the moon being 'the sting' at the bottom.

Its a bit over exposed to bring out the planets better, especially Mars. (Didn't spot Mercury though)

Sony A7s, 1/10, F/4 38mm, iso 10000

21900682009_f4c1160afd_c.jpgDSC01258 by

• Like 2

Ouch, hope you feel better soon Rob, and well done for getting that paint cleared up before it dried 😉

I am glad you didn't sustain anything worse, granted it's nasty, but it could have been a heck of a lot worse.

A swift recovery Rob, take it steady mate.

Thank you again guys  :)

All your kind words mean a lot, and are appreciated.

I'm wondering if the Dob mount for my Newtonian will arrive before of after this cast comes off ?

I'm wishing the days away ! 

Got another whole month to go yet.............. :(