• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Forum Upgrade.

Daz Type-R

All,

This is just a preliminary heads up to let you know that in the next 2-3 months we will be looking to upgrade the forum to the latest release.

The version of the forum we are on now will soon go out of support, with no new fixes being supplied by the vendor, this will leave us open to hacks, DDoS attacks and potential downtime, as well as an ever increasing possibility of spam.

The vendor has recently supplied an upgrade to the latest release, so we are going to let that bed in for a little while before we upgrade to the latest version (let other forums iron out the bugs ;) ).

Closer to the time when we decide to upgrade, you will all be notified via this thread and our web-master guru (Craig) will possibly put up a test site for you to look at for a few days.  We will supply a date and time of the upgrade so you know to expect some downtime.

Everything we have now will still be there, like the shout box and galleries ETC but the layout will change slightly.

Hopefully you will all like it.

Like I said above, closer to the time, a member of staff will update you all.

Regards,

Daz.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up.

I think there may be a bug in the current software.

I've been trying to change my profile thumbnail photo. I deleted the old one ok, but cannot upload a new one, no matter what i try.

Don't think its at my end ; i've changed it several times in the past before ?

Any idea's ?

Thanks, Rob.

Also having a problem, which may or may not be related. I use the "view new contact" as my bookmarked entry page. For some reason, when I use that I have been getting a message saying no new content found (even though there is). I've purged cookies/cache, etc, makes no difference. Strange thing is that it is happening on two different PC's and an iPad...

Alan

Ignore that, found the problem. Had accidentally ticked the "just items I follow" option...  :rolleyes:

Hi Mick, avatar photo as requested.

22424979611_b4731efbc5_q.jpgDaisy&laptop by RON CLARKE, on Flickr

PS: watched 20+ Red Kites at that local tip we visited today!!

Cheers

Ron

PM'd you!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

The problem is with the image size by the looks of it. The forum software does not tell you it is too large and just doesn't change it. I had the same issue last time, I just had to resize it until it accepted it.

Edit: Scratch that, I can't alter mine, not even via admin cp :lol:

Edited by Perkil8r

Thanks for heads up Darren, looking forward to it...

I still cannot get any info under the header 'Recent Topics' just an empty blank box...

I have tried everything. This only applies to my IPad, the iPhone shows all 'recent topics', I have been getting round it by using the 'View New Content' option etc. Everything else works ok!

Steve, I think that if you tap to the right of the box saying recent topics, you will find an invisible x that then becomes visible. That x should turn it on or off.

• Like 1

All my kit list went funny so I deleted it will wait for the upgrade before loading again 

Steve, I think that if you tap to the right of the box saying recent topics, you will find an invisible x that then becomes visible. That x should turn it on or off.

Thanks Pete, you were right. I tapped the invisible X and presto it all came back! Brilliant!

I must have tapped, double tapped a thousand times in and around that box, to no avail, then, on your advice I just tapped it once on the extreme right and sorted! ðŸ‘

Cheers! 😀

• Like 2

Thanks Pete, you were right. I tapped the invisible X and presto it all came back! Brilliant!

I must have tapped, double tapped a thousand times in and around that box, to no avail, then, on your advice I just tapped it once on the extreme right and sorted!

Cheers!

Likewise Steve, I had exactly the same problem a while back until someone put me straight :) .

It really isn't very obvious until you know how.

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Bit more info with regards the forum upgrade.

We are looking to take the forum down Wednesday daytime into Thursday morning (18th - 19th November).

The forum will be down while we do the upgrade, apply a new backdrop (I hope you like it) and do some testing.

Once we are back on-line, if there are any issues, please let us know either via PM or via this thread.

Important note.

After the upgrade, there will be changes to how some of you will log in.

You will only be allowed to log in with your display name and original password. For example, if you logged in previously with a user name but your display name is different, then logging in with your user name will no longer work, you will need to log in with your display name. Your display name is the one everybody sees. If you previously logged in using your email address this will also no longer work. You must use your display name.

Hope that makes sense?

Any questions in the meantime, please feel free to ask away.

Regards,

Admin and Mod team.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new upgrades Darren.

Good luck with it on Wednesday.

Are there any other significant changes to things ?

Can you whet our appetites with anything ??

A few of things i'd perhaps like to see :

1.A clearer, more obvious and dedicated area for upcoming planned meets would be nice.

The current area is a little muddled i feel.

2. The Happy Birthday bit. How about a small area of the homepage for this, (better than what we have now)  that generates a Happy Birthday to  x with a link to any messages etc ?

I'm assuming one of the admin has to start a thread for this on a daily basis with us having 1000+ members ?

Can this be automated at all ? (I hope i'm not being a killjoy, just wanted  to suggest a better way to do it)

3. The current 'recent status updates' seems a bit pointless to me, and doesn't appear to work anyway.

The 'recent topics' does work well though. Could it be expanded though from 5 to say 10 topics ?

What went BUMP by the way......?  ;)

Hi Rob, thanks for your feedback, always welcoming to receive such suggestions from the members, after all, this is your forum as well.

:)

Here are a few points.....

• Friends are being replaced by followers - followers 'subscribe' to the people they follow and get notifications when new contact is created by them, whether that's a forum post, a new gallery image or a response to a thread. When the upgrade occurs all "friends" will be removed to prevent unexpected spamming of mailboxes, but adding a follower back is as easy as adding a friend was.
  • View New Content is replaced by Activity Streams. Activity Streams can be created for different content and there are 5 by default: Unread content; Content I started; Content I follow; Members I follow; and Content I posted in. Members can also create their own Activity Streams, and give them meaningful names, so they can customise their experience.
  • Browser notifications - If you allow it, your browser can subscribe to the forum. It'll let you know if you've got a notification even if you're on another website, even if you don't have EMS open at all. (This is currently supported on Firefox and Chrome.)
  • Content can be created without having to navigate to the specific area of the forum. From anywhere on the website users can click "Create" at the top of the screen, then "Topic", and then choose the forum they want to create it in. It's a lot faster once you get the hang of it.
  • The forum now has a responsive skin which changes depending on the device it's being accessed from. It's the same skin, with the same colours and background, but resized and optimised for PCs and laptops, tablets, or mobiles.
  • The forum will operate under full SSL which increases security. Everything sent between users' devices (e.g. PC/mobile) and the website is encrypted. This is especially important for things like email address, usernames and passwords.
  • The editor has had a complete overhaul and now works more reliably on mobile devices. It's a big improvement on the current editor, which is old and was never fully integrated into the software.

I know a few of you over the past few weeks have been having issues loading new avatars, the process to do this is very different (from a back end process point of view) in the new release so we are hoping the new release will fix this issue, if not, it will be looked at in greater detail after the upgrade.  Watch this space.

I will have a go at answering your queries, in the order that you posted them....

1.  The new forum features a "featured topic" feed which means important topics will automatically take a prominent position on the sidebar or above the main forum. If there are meets then this could be used to make it far more visible. We could also take more advantage of the calendar which, similarly, has a block in the sidebar showing upcoming events.  Over to the members to discuss what they would prefer but yes, something is possible.

2.  Yes, there is some automation we can do but it will cost more as its an "add on".  Also, if we go down this route, all messages will be the same, I think this will loose the personal nice touch we currently have, also, it will say "Happy Birthday" to somebody who has not been on for 3 years, granted, this is still a nice touch but will add more traffic to the forum.  Thoughts??????

3.  Status updates - the new system supports them but it's up to you whether you want this feature to be enabled or not - again, over to you the members.

Hope that answers your questions Rob, again, sorry for being vague but its quite difficult to discuss what something looks like.

EDIT - With regards to the recent topics list, will see if we can up the amount it lists.

Edited by Daz Type-R
Forgot a bit.

Just as a point with status updates. (or new topics even)

Using the US forum 'Cloudy nights' as an example, new feed on there is highlighted  in a bold Green colour.

If you are a regular user and follow certain topics / threads this is really useful.

The older stuff where a particular thread has finished isn't highlighted and doesn't attract attention.

Another thing....

Do we really need to see the thick orange bar (which is a bit obtrusive) if we edit a post ?

Sometimes i edit a post for something really minor like a spelling mistake and don't wish to see this.

I'd rather have a very small 'edited' caption out of the way, like you see on Facebook for example.

Think that's all. Hope i'm not throwing too many spanners in the works !  :lol:

That all sounds like an improvement in usability and allows us a bit of customisation :thumbsup:

I completely agree with Daz's point 2, that wishing happy birthday should remain more personal. Not much point wishing happy birthday to someone with a couple of posts who hasn't been on the forum for a year or two. They are not going to see it!

Sorry Darren, just read your edited post above.

I didn't see your 7 extra bits that you'd put in.

Quite a lot of new stuff then.  :thumbsup: