• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cable Length

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

I am looking to get a longer USB cable for my camera and am sure I have read somewhere that you shouldn't exceed 3m - have I dreamt this or is it correct?

It is USB 3.0 cable if that makes any difference - does a longer cable (we are talking 5m as opposed to 2m) make any difference in transfer speeds?

I think the problem was more to do power drop from camera to computer I think

hi Paul, 

my zwo asi 120 mono didn`t like the active cable, it did say on there website that it could have problems using one and it didn`t like being plugged into a powered usb hub either, i even bought another powered usb hub, one astronomiser recommends and it still didn`t work very well, they may have sorted these problems out with the newer cameras like yours using usb 3, an e-mail to Sam at zwo might be a good bet as he is very helpful.

what i did to sort my camera out was to buy a cheap, £1.64, 5 meter usb cable off E bay, not active just an extension cable, then that was plugged into a 1 meter usb printer cable, 6 meters in total which was enough to reach my pc in the warm room, and plugged into it`s own usb port on the pc and it works fine ! don`t ask me how because it shouldn`t if you talk to the experts which say over that distance the signal should drop, but my frame rates are almost exactly what is stated on the Zwo website and my obsy computer is old and slow, still running windows XP, with a better pc it would be even better. 

Think the fact that you've got a all singing computer and its USB 3 you should be fine to get a longer cable

I used 2x5m active daisy chained with my ZWO120 Colour with no problems. That said I was not doing fast frame rates that night, it was just 5 sec exposures. I have used 1 x 10m active with it on planetary though, again no issues.

Video does not run well over active USB cables when working with other devices on a hub. I had problems with my QHY5 II. Switched to a Lodestar to stave off that problem.

Edited by xanthic

• 1 month later...

I've had mixed luck with cables. Some of the cheapie ebay cables are fine, but it's pot luck. I've used a number of 5m cables with my DSLR and some were fine. Right now, I'm using a 3m cable with a 2m extension, and having no problem.