• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Milky Way - Watching Cygnus Migrating for the Summer

Guest VikN46

My first ever Milky Way shot - 20th October 2015

Just stayed at a fairly remote cottage in Pembrokshire, Wales. Despite the miserable forecast, it did say there would be a clear spell on the first night.

So with alarm set I got up at 3.30am to check and YES! it was clear, sneaked downstairs grabbed the camera and tripod.

I went outside and it was so quiet and pitch black, it was quite unnerving especially when you could hear animals rustling around. My mind kept running away with its self, ha ha : )

The sky, well that was amazing, even without my eyes adjusting to the dark the Milky Way stood out, you couldn't miss it, and could clearly make out the Andromeda Galaxy.

Any way safe to say I will be back one day with ALL my Astro gear! Thanks for looking.

Picture below:

1 x 20 second image, you can just make out Cygnus disappearing behind the trees.

Using my Canon 650D (unmodded) at ISO 6400, using the stock EF-S 18-55mm Lens on a very cheap tripod.

Backyard EOS and a tweak in Photoshop CC

22170029238_273af9bf05_z.jpgMilky Way - Watching Cygnus Migrating for the Summer by Vik N, on Flickr

Thanks Ron,

Unfortunately, an en - Suit light was accidently left on, would of turned it off had it not been in my Mother in Law's room.... didn't dare sneak in :D

Thats a nice image.

I'm surprised theres not any star trailing in the image considering it was 20s

Was it an unpowered mount ?

Thats a nice image.

I'm surprised theres not any star trailing in the image considering it was 20s

Was it an unpowered mount ?

Thank you, there is a little trailing if you were to zoom in, yes no power, I only used a very basic £14.99 Hama camera tripod

Edited by VikN46

Hello Vick I always look forward to your pics. The quality and composition of them I think are magic.

Just a note aside what does lol stand for?

Thank you for all the comments, Not had internet for the last few days.

Hello Vick I always look forward to your pics. The quality and composition of them I think are magic.

Just a note aside what does lol stand for?

lol stands for Laugh out Loud. :)