• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mars One mission (poll)

M.

Mars One Mission.  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Will it happen?

I am voting yes as well, we need to do it to drive technology that will enable us to survive and maybe explore further than the solar system.

Ryan from this shortlist came to our school to talk inspire some of our science students. He was interesting to meet. (See guardian link below)

Mars One shortlist: five Britons among 100 would-be astronauts

http://gu.com/p/45pgy?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Personally a little skeptical of the project but agree it should be something the human race should aim for. I realise the logistical issue of making it a two way journey but feel aiming to make the project such would solve some of the psychological issues if the mission.

Finally got around to seeing the martian... in 3D. Wasn't it well done?!

As much as I would like it to happen, I really think it's going to fail. I think old Elon or nasa will get there first. At least they plan to return.

No it will not happen in our lifetime. 

The first hurdle is funding and it is going to cost so much money. Even if they do get enough to launch the first rovers, that will find suitable habitats and something occurs to cause the rovers to not complete their mission, funding will stop. The backers will get frustrated and the funds will dry up. For it to work it needs unlimited funds and that's hard to come by.

I still don't think we have the technology to make this happen.

We need to have better and faster propulsion systems to get us there quicker and the rockets need to have larger payloads as supplies will run out very quick if we only have the small payloads we are able to carry now.

No it will not happen in our lifetime. 

The first hurdle is funding and it is going to cost so much money. Even if they do get enough to launch the first rovers, that will find suitable habitats and something occurs to cause the rovers to not complete their mission, funding will stop. The backers will get frustrated and the funds will dry up. For it to work it needs unlimited funds and that's hard to come by.

I still don't think we have the technology to make this happen.

We need to have better and faster propulsion systems to get us there quicker and the rockets need to have larger payloads as supplies will run out very quick if we only have the small payloads we are able to carry now.

Completely agree Mick.

If given the choice would you take the one way ticket?

Most of my life I would of said yes, but currently I would decline it...

I've ticked yes... But.. The dates are optimistic I feel...add more years and it prob happen, altho as others say it needs happen to move forward... Although I'm not convinced that building on mars is more feasible than very large structures in earth orbit, we been there already to an extent... Closer to home.... I think built structures around earth be more usable and cost/time effective for the time being... At least until due to evolution we get almond shaped heads with big eyes to match on spindly bodies.... Lol

I'd really like to see it happen, but I think it is just too much of a collosal undertaking in every respect, so I have to vote no.

Mars One isn't really a project anyway. They have no funding, no mission plan, no hardware and - more importantly - no agreement with anyone for the use of any hardware. The only thing they have is an agreement to televise the process. Space Cadets, anyone?

Alnn

Mars One isn't really a project anyway. They have no funding, no mission plan, no hardware and - more importantly - no agreement with anyone for the use of any hardware. The only thing they have is an agreement to televise the process. Space Cadets, anyone?

Alnn

These are just teething problems :P

I'm fairly sure Mars One won't succeed. I really hope mankind makes it in my lifetime, and I'm fairly optimistic that it will. I don't think NASA have much of a chance but if I was a betting man I'd be putting my money on the Chinese to make it happen.

The forum is divided at 50/50

That's statistics for you. 100% here believe we will make it to Mars, it's just that 0% believe Mars One will be the ones to do it...  ;)

Alan

IMO Speed is not the problem but it would be nicer to get there(and back) faster. The real problems are protection from a number of little gotcha's - radiation,killer dust/rock particles,human physiology  and one that seems never to be talked about mental stress (at least for the first few missions ). Voted yes out of optimism but head yes No.

Adult Humans may never travel great distances in space but human DNA may - human cells in frozen tubes (already done at sperm banks) born in space and cared/trained/fed etc  by machines. :wacko:

I'd love to see a mission to Mars, but being realistic it's not currently going to happen. I completely agree with Clive, we do not have the technology to survive the amount of cosmic radiation for the journey to Mars. I think we'd be better served putting a base on the moon first - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31953052