• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ashby de la Zouch

Derry

Hello World!

Just found this forum and it seemed appropriate to join, since I live in the UK, and in the East Midlands.  A week or so ago I visited the Rosliston Astronomy Group (RAG) for the first time and met some very friendly people.

After being more of an armchair astronomer for many years, I'm slowly getting back into observational astronomy since I retired.  I have 15-year-old Meade 8" LX10 which deserves to be used more.  Today I've booked my pitch for te May 2016 AstroCamp star party (organised and run by the Baker Street Irregulars) and this will be my fifth visit.

Looking forward to joining in the discussions on the forums, starting with a question or two of my own.

Derry

Hi Derry, a warm welcome to EMS.

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home. We have a couple of dark sites, one at Wymeswold and one at Belper, you would be welcome to come over and bring your scope along and say hi. All being well with the "W" word behaving itself, I am looking forward to a good winter and spring season, maybe being optimistic but look on the dark side.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, someone will be along to help out.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.  I logged in this morning to update my profile information and seem to have fallen at the first hurdle.  I'm trying to upload a photo and, whilst it looks as if it has worked, the photo hasn't changed.  Any ideas?

There is a maximum limit to the image file size. Someone else will know exactly what it is. I think definitely under a megabyte. Reduce the file size until it accepts it.

I thought of that and am now down to 63 KB and still no joy.

Meanwhile, here's what may be an easier question: the Help files say that there is a Members tab at the top of every page.  I don't see it and I can't view anyone else's profile.  I was going to look at a few before deciding what to put in mine.

Is the a metaforum (for asking questions about the forum?).

Cheers,

Derry

Hi, this is the sizes you need to adhere to with regards avatars.....

There's a 100kb limit on the file size and 100px dimension limits.

With regards to the members tab, if memory serves then you need a certain post count before that is available to you.

Regards,

Daz.

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks.  I still can't load an avatar picture for reasons unknown at present.  So, while finding a solution for that, here is a link to my public albums on Picasaweb, including albums of astro pics taken in recent years (and a tiny picture of me, as it happens).

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to joining in the discussions, but first I'd like to sort out my profile.  So far that's proving difficult.

This morning I tried to contact an Administrator using the link after getting 'Error on the forums' messag, to describe my difficuly in uploading a photograph.  The email bounced!  I have to say that I'm a little disappointed.  The help files tell me that there is a list of administrators at the foot of the main page.  Not one that I can see.

I realise that this Welcome forum is probably not the appropriate place to do this, but my options are severely limited.  So if somebody could bring this to the attention of an administrator on my behalf, I'd appreciate it, thanks.  We can always delete the thread once it is sorted.

Hi Derry - the administrators are the names in blue in the online list. Or you can click the "Moderating Team" link at the bottom right of the main page to see the list of them. There is a limit on the size of a photo that can be used in your profile - sorry I don't know what that is off hand, but an admin or moderator will be able to tell you. You can easily resize it using something like Photoshop or any other photo processing package. Hth :)

Edited by Brantuk

Hi Derry, sorry you are having problems.

The size of the image does matter, or it won't get uploaded. We are looking to upgrade the forum in the near future so that it is not only more secure, but runs well and hopefully have less issues like this.

I will try and find out what size it's supposed to be, Doc sorted out the last one, I think he had to tinker about with it and computers are not my strong point.

We won't leave you out in the cold. :)

There's a 100kb limit on the file size and 100px dimension limits. If your avatar is bigger than that then it will not load.

Try and reduce the limit to be in line with the above dimensions and it should work.

If not, report back here and I will take a look.

There's a 100kb limit on the file size and 100px dimension limits. If your avatar is bigger than that then it will not load.

100 pixels?  That's tiny!  OK, my last attempt was 63 KB file but more that 100x100 px.  So I've reduced the pixel size and the file is now 15 KB and about the size of a postage stamp.  There's nothing to indicate that anything has gone wrong but, as you can see, my profile has not changed.  My browser is Firefox 42.0 running under Windows XP, if that makes a difference.

I still can't see a list of members, in blue or any other colour.  Somebody said I won't see the list until I've made a threshold number of posts.  However, I can see a link to the moderating team and I've just tried a PM (to Daz Type-R) which seems to have been sent successfully.

I'll check back here sometime tomorrow.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Derry

100 pixels?  That's tiny!  OK, my last attempt was 63 KB file but more that 100x100 px.  So I've reduced the pixel size and the file is now 15 KB and about the size of a postage stamp.  There's nothing to indicate that anything has gone wrong but, as you can see, my profile has not changed.  My browser is Firefox 42.0 running under Windows XP, if that makes a difference.

I still can't see a list of members, in blue or any other colour.  Somebody said I won't see the list until I've made a threshold number of posts.  However, I can see a link to the moderating team and I've just tried a PM (to Daz Type-R) which seems to have been sent successfully.

I'll check back here sometime tomorrow.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Derry

Hi Derry,

I have received your PM and have replied.  I will look into your (and everybody else's) avatar issues, some thing is amiss.

Cheers ,

Daz.