We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
AllyMcD97

Hi guys! :)

AllyMcD97

Hello everybody!

I am an 18 year old A-level student living in the Derby/Nottingham area (Studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry). I've been fascinated in space and astronomy for as long as I can remember, and in the last few years have visited the US, European and Russian space agencies! 

Anyway - I've recently been getting more and more interested in astronomy, and I've decided to build my first telescope! (Mirror grinding and all, I know I've bitten off a lot more than I can chew, but I just want something I can be proud of, even if it's not the best telescope ever created, which I'm sure it won't be! :P ). Does anyone know of where I can find some noob-level advice on this? A person, website, or book would be great! (Unfortunately, I've looked and can't find an idiots guide to mirror grinding!)

Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys around the forums, looks like a fun place to spend some time!! 

Thanks,

Ally :)

M.

Welcome fellow student ;)

I know a few here have made their own or at least attempted it, It isn't all that easy from what I've read!

You could salvage a mirror instead, which would be better/cheaper?

What size mirror did you have in mind?

Edited by M__

AllyMcD97

Welcome fellow student ;)

I know a few here have made their own or at least attempted it, It isn't all that easy from what I've read!

You could salvage a mirror instead, which would be better/cheaper?

What size mirror did you have in mind?

I hadn't thought of salvaging one! That could potentially be a fabulous idea! 

I'm planning on using the build to get myself an extra a-level in the form the the OCR EPQ, but I think, even if I don't make the mirror by hand, I'd be able to use it to get a good grade!! (I'll have more time to make it look fancy too!)

Any tips on how to go about salvaging one? Where does one find a place where people sell their disused 'scopes?

Haha - my answer to this one might make me seem even more silly than I already did! I've 'acquired' a 14 inch plate glass blank - I was planning on using that! Probably a bit toooo big :P

Thanks for the reply! :)

Tweedledee

Welcome to EMS Ally.

You will need a lot of patience for mirror grinding.

I would recommend buying your first scope ready made either new or secondhand.

If you are serious about building then here are some some resources that might be useful, and ask lots of questions in the relevent forum section...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=telescope%20making&sprefix=telescope+making%2Caps%2C156

http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/Telescope%20Making%20Supplies.html

http://beaconhilltelescopes.org.uk/optical.html

http://www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope2.htm

philjay

Welcome Ally. Good on you for thinking of having a go at making a scope, not many folks try this these days. Theres nothing more rewarding than using a scope youve built or restored yourself

Smithysteve

Welcome to EMS Ally.

Pete has pretty much covered it if you decide to grind mirrors and build :-)

It's quite an ambitious project, it would indeed be something to be very proud of if you decide to do it.

There is a lot involved in grinding and building a scope. Lots of skills and lots of time. I have considered it in the past but never took the plunge!

The bigger the scope, the bigger the effort and larger the cost too, and ideally you need to end up with a scope that is useful! So a 6" scope would be the minimum size to consider... An 8" would be more useful :-)

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide, keep on asking, we are all keen to help.

Cheers!

BAZ

Hi Ally, a warm welcome to EMS.

Straight in at the deep end then, I think you will have an easier time of it salvaging mirrors, as grinding your own can end up a bit of a minefield, even the professionals get it wrong.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfEUTwd8q98

Keep us posted on how you get on, good luck.

Enjoy the forum as well, you would be very welcome to come along to meets and have a look through some scopes for a bit of star gazing. Keep an eye open on the info and announcements threads.

Brantuk

Hi Ally and welcome to EMS :)

Very ambitious project for a first timer - good luck with it.

While you are doing the building, grinding and figuring, it might be an idea to get a cheap second hand 8" dob so you have something to view the night sky with as the project progresses. You can get 'em for around £200 in very good nick and won't loose a lot in depreciation if you keep it in good condition and sell later. Enjoy the forum. :)