• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Short term fix

Guest rowbow

Worth a try in an emergency but with a telescope being such a good heat sink I suspect they would soon loose their heat.

They might work with small refractors in an emergency but I would be careful. These hand warmers can get very hot and have actually caused minor burns to thighs of folks who have put then in pockets. If they are too hot there is a slim chance they could potentially cause damage if things get too hot and distort due to thermal expansion and contraction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it will cause damage but I would be very careful.

Binoculars might be a candidate for a try though since there is less material around the lenses which also tend to be thinner, plus they would help keep your hands warm into the deal!