• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wagtail but very blue ? bird watchers of knowledge reqd

stash

Not a great pic from phone but at least this time i captured it (missed it a number of times this last week) - It looks like a wagtail but is very blue with a blue line from its eye down to its tail - Is it just a yellow wagtail or a hybrid 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVRGpVMGVwZlUyQTA/view?usp=sharing

I had a Juvenile Sparrowhawk in my garden Wednesday eating a pigeon. The pigeon was still alive flapping but half eaten. Then a black cat jumped off the shed and startled the Sparrowhawk who flew off. The cat then picked up the pigeon and walked off with it.

Yes, I'd say Grey as well. They do have quite a bit of yellow on them.

Sparrowhawk on autumn watch was fab.

Defo a Grey Wagtail, yes that was a cracking male Sparrow on Autumnwatch!!

Cheers

Ron

"Sparrowhawk in my garden Wednesday eating a pigeon" that's unusual as they dont normally go for them as they are stronger and can damage the Hawks wings - I presume we are talking about a Wood Pigeon not a feathered rat/Ferrule Pigeon? 

Edited by Doc
Formatted text to get rid of white background

Yes Clive a wood pigeon. We have a large feeder and often get 10+ wood pigeons around it. I've seen this sparrow hawk a few times he flies low over the adjacent garden then over my fence, through the feeders and down our driveway. On this occasion the feeders must have been full and he got lucky.