• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New forum upgrade issues / questions.

Daz Type-R

9 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Will do later but next to your profile pic and below your name in red does it say moderator?

I see it now, on  the profile page as opposed to the quick view or post view? Mine's covered too but can't say as that really matters much to me.

17 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

Not really a bug - more an enquiry/request. Can the User list have a filter added to sort by post count at all?

Which user list are you referring to - the one that's currently sorted by reputation? If so, it can't be sorted by post count. A separate list might be possible though.

5 minutes ago, Perkil8r said:

I see it now, on  the profile page as opposed to the quick view or post view? Mine's covered too but can't say as that really matters much to me.

I spotted this earlier when it was first mentioned. This needs a bug fix as opposed to a minor tweak, so I have referred it back to the skin author. (He'll incorporate the fix into the next version of the skin and provide a temporary remedy for me.)

Here's a screenshot. The 7th column of emoticons needs scrolling to.

I'm using a Lenovo G50, Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11.0.22 (KB3078071), 1366x768 pixels, 100% zoom.

Screenshot 2015-11-18 14.12.17.png

Open the browser without loading EMS.

Click the small cog, top right of the window, and click on Internet Options.

Under Browsing History click on Delete.

Tick the boxes as follows and press Delete.

delete.png.be09217ba82e38252fc0e61226ae9

Load EMS and see if it's fixed.

I tested the chatbox emotes in IE11 and they work fine.

Craig - the list I'm asking about is the Online Users list when you hover over Browse in the top left corner of the page. It has several sort and filter criteria - I just wondered if you can add options to sort by different criteria. :)

Any chance of adding a see most recent post. At the moment you have to scroll through the whole thread just to see the last post. Unless im missing something. Thanks.

1 hour ago, tuckstar said:

Any chance of adding a see most recent post. At the moment you have to scroll through the whole thread just to see the last post. Unless im missing something. Thanks.

Andy, the old forum could do this and so can this new one, when looking at the list of threads, to see the last post posted on a particular thread, click the time below the name of the person who wrote the last post, this takes you to the very latest post on that particular thread.

Edited by Daz Type-R

9 hours ago, Craig said:

Open the browser without loading EMS.

Click the small cog, top right of the window, and click on Internet Options.

Under Browsing History click on Delete.

Tick the boxes as follows and press Delete.

delete.png.be09217ba82e38252fc0e61226ae9

Load EMS and see if it's fixed.

I tested the chatbox emotes in IE11 and they work fine.

Thanks Craig.

No, still got both scroll bars and the right most column obscured.

It works like it should in the chatbox with 7 columns visible and just a vertical scroll bar, but not in posts.

12 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Craig - the list I'm asking about is the Online Users list when you hover over Browse in the top left corner of the page. It has several sort and filter criteria - I just wondered if you can add options to sort by different criteria. :)

I'm afraid not, it's not really built for sorting. It would take quite a lot of work to achieve.

6 hours ago, Ron Clarke said:

Looking good to me Craig, thanks for all your hard work mate..:)

No problem.

6 hours ago, tuckstar said:

5 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Andy, the old forum could do this and so can this new one, when looking at the list of threads, to see the last post posted on a particular thread, click the time below the name of the person who wrote the last post, this takes you to the very latest post on that particular thread.

There is actually a better way than that. If you use the Unread Content link at the top of the forum you'll see a little spot or star next to each one. If you click on this it takes you to the first unread post in the thread. You start reading from exactly where you left off. See my video.

4 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Thanks Craig.

No, still got both scroll bars and the right most column obscured.

It works like it should in the chatbox with 7 columns visible and just a vertical scroll bar, but not in posts.

Sorry Pete, I didn't realise you mean in posts. I'll take a look.

Thanks guys. Craig the star method doesn't seem to work on my mobile.

I take that back, it does work from the new content tab but not on the main forum page.

Edited by tuckstar

So it's just me being dim. Stars are convos I've posted in and dots are new content. I'll go and crawl back under my rock now. Thanks again  guys.

On 18/11/2015, 14:55:21, Ibbo said:

can we have a ligth theeme please

also can we stop the images loading as well

I can probably put something simple together, wouldnt be perfect but would be 'light', as long as Craig is happy to add it as a new theme.

I'm probably going to look a bit thick here, but here's a question...

I'm not quite sure about following or being followed. Is it some sort of legalised stalking? :o

Perhaps someone could explain this please. :)

Edited by Tweedledee

Followers replaced friends.

When you follow somebody you get notifications when they contribute to the website in some way. You can be notified of status updates, topics, posts, gallery images, etc.

You can also choose how to be notified - e.g. via email (a bit spammy) or via forum notifications.

Pete,

its the the same as having friends on the old forum but with a few more features.  If I follow you for example and I have my notifications set up, it notifies me when you have posted something, or set a status.

That explains it all thanks Darren.

The ONLY social media type thing I use is EMS. Maybe I'm just sad - or not :lol:

43 minutes ago, M__ said:

Do we have a 'current members online' I see one for staff online.

also, I kinda miss the members posting stats.

Hi Martin,

Yes, on my screen (both PC, iPhone and iPad) I can see a member on line list, for me, its right above the staff on-line section.

With regards to the members posting stats, do you mean post count per day, total posts ETC?

19 minutes ago, M__ said:

would the majority of members rather see posting stats over liked content?

That I can't answer but let me put it like this.

What has more benefit to a community or forum?

1 person with 2000 posts that are nothing but "Hi, welcome to EMS" in the welcome section, or posts that are funny, informative, give out useful information or keep the community talking?

That is why the writers of the forum software have done away with the post count statistic, it technically proves nothing, where as feedback and "likes" adds value to a community and shows thanks to those that (for the want of a better word) deserve it.

if people really want it back I can ask our forum guru to see if it's possible?

Thoughts everybody?

I'm split on this subject I can see where martin is coming from but then as Daz says feedback is more important.

On the subject of post count a few members I see have lost their post count from the old forum as well. Maybe you are pointing at that Martin?

I know I've lost almost 2K worth of posts. I've been told that these will reappear at some stage.