• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New forum upgrade issues / questions.

Daz Type-R

6 hours ago, M__ said:

I will check mine later for similar issues, although rarely I get this problem on other forums I use.

I've noticed a script or font issue too, some older thread titles appear with non uniform text on iPad.

For me, despite the 'teething' issues the forum runs well, and it definitely feels more modern or 'up to date'

I've had the issue of it kicking me out for unknown reasons at random times, but no major problem with it.

As per Martins comment, despite the teething problems, I think the new forum is brilliant, and a big improvement in usability over the old one. :2thumbsup:

Just sorry that one or two members are having a frustrating time with it.

Edited by Tweedledee

I have an issue uploading images from dropbox.

I do the normal routine in dropbox and copy the link URL

I click on the 'insert other media' button and choose insert image from URL'

The image loads up fine onto this page, Its when I click 'submit reply' the image changes into a little box which does nothing.

Just like this one below.

3kXC55aG

I have always used dropbox on here with no problems.

I have even loaded up images after the change ie my moon mosaic.

Edited by Graham

Graham,

Dropbox is not intended to be used as an image sharing platform. There is a work around though.....

• Got to the dropbox page where your image is.
  • Hover the cursor over the image.
  • Right click.
  • Either view image or in chrome open image in new tab.
  • Copy the full URL of the displayed image page.
  • Paste that URL into the insert other media box in your post.

This has been tested and confirmed by a couple of us now.

You are of course advised though to use a proper dedicated image sharing platform such as flickr, photobucket, etc.

Hope this helps.

I always thought Dropbox was a proper image sharing platform.

There are options like "share using dropbox" etc.

Apparently you can choose to share whole folders or individual pictures from Dropbox.

It has always worked fine for me without using the method you state Mike.

Edited by Tweedledee

Hi Mike

Would you Adam and Eve this but I just tried it using an image and it worked first time :wallbash:

It must have something to do with the files I am trying to upload.

They are a jpeg conversion of a cad image.

Having problems with messages on my note 3. Press to enter recipient and it brings up your messages over the top so you can't see the boxes. This happens at the same time as the keypad opens. Typed the name anyway then fooled it by using the back button then click the message icon again and the name was still there. So entered subject and message, quite a long message which lead me to find I couldn't scroll up the page, and then it kicked me off my message after all that anyway. 

I have discovered If you click in to the subject field your messages flash up and dissappear instantly and you can then click in to the recipient box no problems. But still can't scroll up.

Edited by tuckstar

Samsung 7" Tablet GT-P3110 running Android 4.2.2

I have repeated problems posting on threads and PM ing is a joke

Trying to post to replies or a PM will bring the text box up but either allows a couple of letters to be typed or does not allow any text to be put in or it reverts back to the previous screen. If I then try and repeat the post / pm etc it brings up what you've tried to type before and doesn't allow any more typing. That is with touch screen or blue tooth keypad.

This new forum is a pain in the backside to use from a tablet and is really putting me offt.

Ive tried 3 times this morning to PM someone using my tablet because I didn't want to boot up the desktop and failed. Ive now had to boot up the desktop to send the PM.

Before the change to the new forum all my devices worked fine now this version doesn't. I have cleared the cache in all my devices many times, (never had to do this before on any forum). All other forums Im on work fine, this one doesnt

On 02/12/2015, 10:49:10, tuckstar said:

Having problems with messages on my note 3. Press to enter recipient and it brings up your messages over the top so you can't see the boxes. This happens at the same time as the keypad opens. Typed the name anyway then fooled it by using the back button then click the message icon again and the name was still there. So entered subject and message, quite a long message which lead me to find I couldn't scroll up the page, and then it kicked me off my message after all that anyway. 

I have discovered If you click in to the subject field your messages flash up and disappear instantly and you can then click in to the recipient box no problems. But still can't scroll up.

I can replicate this on the stock skin (the bland boring white one that we don't use) which means it's a bug with the software. I'll raise a bug with the developers. Since it's not something in my power to fix myself, it might take a little time for a fix to be forthcoming.

1 hour ago, philjay said:

Trying to post to replies or a PM will bring the text box up but either allows a couple of letters to be typed or does not allow any text to be put in or it reverts back to the previous screen. If I then try and repeat the post / pm etc it brings up what you've tried to type before and doesn't allow any more typing. That is with touch screen or blue tooth keypad.

The PM issue sounds like it's same one @tuckstar has raised. I'm raising that as a bug since I can replicate it.

I still cannot replicate your issues with regards to posting on the forum. I've tested the forum on my own Android device, a Google Nexus 5 running Android 5.1, and an Android emulator, running Android 4.2, a similar build to your device. They both worked perfectly with the software as far as I could tell. There were some styling issues evident in the emulator which indicates the default browser on that version may not support the newer technology in use on EMS. Android 4.2.2 is very old now, as Android builds go.

You could try installing another browser, such as the Firefox beta or Opera. I would have also suggested Chrome, but I don't think it supports your Android version.

1 hour ago, philjay said:

I have cleared the cache in all my devices many times, (never had to do this before on any forum).

That's a diagnostic step for checking the browser is loading the right elements. It has nothing to do with EMS specifically.

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH 

I give up.

Just tried to post a photo and yet again I am back to the same old ******

Photo loads perfectly into the editing page as soon as I post it the photo disappears and changes into a box of numbers.

Craig can you please please please get this sorted it is driving me to despair :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:  

I'm afraid it's down to a quirk of the way Dropbox shares images and the way this forum validates images before it allows them to be posted.

Mike found a workaround for it, so I can't take credit:

1. On dropbox, right click the image you want to share and click on View Image. (It might differ between browsers, but you're looking for something in the menu like that.)
  2. When it loads, copy the URl from the address bar.
  3. In the forum, when creating a new post or a reply, there's a button below the editor that reads 'Insert other media'. Click on that, followed by 'Insert image from URL'.
  4. Paste the URL and click 'Insert into post'.

I must emphasise that I did not get this method to work, but Mike did.

If you can't get Dropbox to work then your only option is to use a different image sharing solution. Dropbox was never intended as an image sharing solution for public forums like EMS. It's meant for link sharing - wherein a user clicks a link to be taken to the file. Flickr, Photobucket, Astrobin and ImageShack are all proper image sharing platforms and work without issue.

31 minutes ago, Craig said:

I'm afraid it's down to a quirk of the way Dropbox shares images and the way this forum validates images before it allows them to be posted.

Mike found a workaround for it, so I can't take credit:

1. On dropbox, right click the image you want to share and click on View Image. (It might differ between browsers, but you're looking for something in the menu like that.)
  2. When it loads, copy the URl from the address bar.
  3. In the forum, when creating a new post or a reply, there's a button below the editor that reads 'Insert other media'. Click on that, followed by 'Insert image from URL'.
  4. Paste the URL and click 'Insert into post'.

I must emphasise that I did not get this method to work, but Mike did.

If you can't get Dropbox to work then your only option is to use a different image sharing solution. Dropbox was never intended as an image sharing solution for public forums like EMS. It's meant for link sharing - wherein a user clicks a link to be taken to the file. Flickr, Photobucket, Astrobin and ImageShack are all proper image sharing platforms and work without issue.

Hi Craig

That does not work at all.

The image will not even load onto the edit page using that method.

Craig I have been using dropbox to upload my images onto EMS from day one with out the slightest problem.

I have only started having an issue since the upgrade.

I have no problems using dropbox on other forums.

All my images are stored on dropbox be it astro, Technical or business .

Its a sad state but I guess I will just not be posting any more images on EMS

Graham I've just tried uploading a photo from my dropbox and I can make it work if you first save the picture onto your computer.

Not ideal I know but it does work by choosing the "choose files" link.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Graham I've just tried uploading a photo from my dropbox and I can make it work if you first save the picture onto your computer.

Not ideal I know but it does work by choosing the "choose files" link.

All my images are saved on my computer.

I cannot upload them directly from there as they are too big. 

I wonder if the file size is your only problem, not Dropbox. I use dropbox successfully every time with thus forum, but have to make sure the file size is below 500kb. I use a free program called Gimp 2 to quickly and easily reduce the file size. It just means that I end up with two versions of each photo, one small and one full size.

Try it Graham.

Dropbox is a file sharing platform, not an image sharing solution. By definition it will of course allow for image files to be shared but it's intended use is between users not platforms. As such it is not designed to simply display images. Photo bucket, flickr, Instagram and so on are dedicated to sharing images. Horses for courses, if you want to share an image visually then use an image sharing platform. 

On 27/11/2015, 11:25:25, tuckstar said:

Can't use the search bar on main page. Samsung note 3 running android kit kat. When you touch the search bar the key pad flashes up then disappears. So unable to enter text.

Could just be me but....

Just to keep you updated, this is still being investigated.

I'm working with the theme author at the moment and have replicated this issue on all of his themes, so we now know the issue lies with his framework. We're narrowing down the cause as we speak, but he's an Aussie so there are 12 hour gaps between responses. :)

11 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I wonder if the file size is your only problem, not Dropbox. I use dropbox successfully every time with thus forum, but have to make sure the file size is below 500kb. I use a free program called Gimp 2 to quickly and easily reduce the file size. It just means that I end up with two versions of each photo, one small and one full size.

Try it Graham.

Pete you are a star. :2thumbsup:

I reduced the size of the photo in Paint by 50% which brought it down to 490KB and it works great.

In fact I can upload direct from this computer so do not even need to go through dropbox at all :party:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Try it Graham.

Nice one @Tweedledee, thanks. :thumbsup:

I wasn't aware that the filesize was the issue for drop box, but this makes sense now.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I reduced the size of the photo in Paint by 50% which brought it down to 490KB and it works great.

In fact I can upload direct from this computer so do not even need to go through dropbox at all :party:

@Graham, glad you're sorted.

@philjay

Can you swap your theme to a new one I've enabled called 'Philjay Only'. This is a very basic stock theme with no bells and whistles. I'm trying to determine if you have any problems on the stock theme or not.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

That's great Graham. :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos now :2thumbsup:

On 27/11/2015, 11:25:25, tuckstar said:

Can't use the search bar on main page. Samsung note 3 running android kit kat. When you touch the search bar the key pad flashes up then disappears. So unable to enter text.

Could just be me but....

A fix has been applied. :)