• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New forum upgrade issues / questions.

Daz Type-R

3 hours ago, Kheldar said:

Defect : There appears to be snow on my site ...

I'll report it as a hum bug...

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 20:16, Craig said:

@philjay

Can you swap your theme to a new one I've enabled called 'Philjay Only'. This is a very basic stock theme with no bells and whistles. I'm trying to determine if you have any problems on the stock theme or not.

Not tried it yet, attention required elsewhere at the moment , will try next week

OK. so I tried it earlier and the theme is basic but looks OK. However when I tried to reply to this thread it just brought up the last thing I tried to reply with, text and image. Plus it would not let me edit or add anything to it. I am now on the desktop BTW. So I tried clearing the cache (something which I have never had to do with any web sites and it doesn't bring up  the last thing I tried to write as above but I cannot now enter anything.

This site is now read only for me on my tablet. Its a pain in the neck and very frustrating and is discouraging me from even trying now

18 hours ago, philjay said:

So I tried clearing the cache (something which I have never had to do with any web sites)

As I've already said, clearing the browser cache is a diagnostic step to rule out the browser cache as a cause of the issue. Typically browsers clear their cache out after it expires, sometimes as set by the web host and sometimes by the browser configuration itself, but occasionally clearing it out early is required, especially after an upgrade. It would be my first step in diagnosing any access or usability issues. Stating it's nothing you've had to do before doesn't mean anything beyond that you've never had to try to diagnose an access or usability issue before. The fact that you had text in the editor to begin with, which was then removed by clearing the cache, shows that the browser cache is not the cause. (The text was cached and clearing your cache removed this successfully.)

Thus far I have attempted to reproduce your issues using a web based emulator running Android 4.2, a PC based emulator which I installed on my laptop and configured to match your Android version, 4.2.2, by physically flashing my own old Android device to a build that was just a tad newer than yours, being Android 4.4, and even by obtaining an old Samsung smart phone, from a neighbour, running Android 4.1.2 (which is older than yours). I could access EMS, create topics, reply to topics, upload images, etc., without any issues on any of these platforms, using the default browser for each one.

Based on all of the above, I am convinced this is an issue with your device, not EMS. EMS works flawlessly in all of my tests. I would have had doubts based on my emulators and even the Google Nexus 5 handset, but the fact that the older Samsung handset works perfectly does not indicate EMS has any issues. Having eliminated EMS as the cause, attention has to be turned to the device being used. I can only suggest two courses of action at this stage:

1. Download a new browser from the marketplace, something like Firefox or Chrome, and test on that.
  2. Factory reset the device to restore it to factory settings, eliminating any unusual configuration options as the cause.

Me again:P note 3, kit kat, etc...

Can't seem to copy and paste Web address. Every time I try I get:-

this HTML class. Value is http://www.philipmor

this HTML class. Value is https://www.eastmidl

Copies from clipboard fine in to messages or browser.

Also, when I click in to respond on a thread I have already posted on, the message box is still populated with my last post. Just a minor one.

Thanks Craig, keep up the good work.

Edited by tuckstar

Hi Admin

Bit of a puzzler......

Smithysteve just posted me a status update which i quickly replied to. Its the top post on 'Recent status updates'

Yet when i went to my profile by clicking on my thunbnail, his update to me was not there, only my reply.

When i attempted to access it i was given this :      ! Sorry, there is a problem, we could not locate the item you were trying to view. Error code 2C138/E

Thought i'd mention it to you.

It's ok Steve has copied and pasted me the message again in PM's.

Thanks Rob.

Sorry, scrub the above post.

Steve had posted it in the wrong place, and the Mods had removed it.

Hence the error code.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Sorry, scrub the above post.

Steve had posted it in the wrong place, and the Mods had removed it.

Hence the error code.

Sorry Rob, that was me, doing it on my IPhone, so it was a bit more difficult to follow the thread / flow of the conversation, otherwise would have tided up properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Me again:P note 3, kit kat, etc...

Can't seem to copy and paste Web address. Every time I try I get:-

this HTML class. Value is http://www.philipmor

this HTML class. Value is https://www.eastmidl

Copies from clipboard fine in to messages or browser.

Also, when I click in to respond on a thread I have already posted on, the message box is still populated with my last post. Just a minor one.

Thanks Craig, keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, Brantuk said:

That happens to me too - only with pm's Andy.

Can you both let me know if it does this on all URLs you attempt to paste?

Kim, can you let me know what device you get this on and what OS and browser you are using?

Thanks

this HTML class. Value is http://www.theskepti 

this HTML class. Value is https://mobile.twitt

Looks like it. The same item copies the full link anywhere else.

I think kim is referring to the latter problem with previous posts still being in the reply box.

Edited by tuckstar

13 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

this HTML class. Value is http://www.theskepti 

this HTML class. Value is https://mobile.twitt

How long has this been happening?

10 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 on my laptop Craig. :)

Thanks Kim - can I check, are you referring to the issue of text following you around? A patch was applied a few weeks ago that was supposed to have resolved this issue. Can you try to clear your cache, see if the issue comes back, and let me know? I've not seen a recurrence of it since I applied the patch, but prior to that I could replicate the problem.

33 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

Can I check if you're using the default browser on a the Note 3? (I believe this is not Chrome?)

This error seems to be quite prevalent on Google: http://bfy.tw/3KBN

I did some searching and one of the apparent causes is the use of the stock browser on Samsung products. I found two forums on which users with this error were using Samsung devices and the stock browser for the device. I can't confirm this myself of course, but it seems to be a recurring theme. If you are using the stock browser, I'd suggest trying Firefox or Chrome, and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks Craig - the cache is cleared - btw my laptop is also a Samsung. I'll see if the problem is still there and get back to you.

Ok  - the text has disappeared on my pm's now and I start with a fresh empty text box for the message. Thanks Craig. :)

Thanks Kim

I don't think your laptop will be a problem due to being Samsung, not unless it's running Android, so everything should be OK. :)

3 hours ago, tuckstar said:

All sorted

Marvellous.

I'm hoping Phil tries an alternative browser too. (If he's using the stock one, that is...)

I have a disliking for Samsung products because of their stubborn refusal to move with the times. :P

• 2 weeks later...