• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New forum upgrade issues / questions.

Daz Type-R

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

I know I've lost almost 2K worth of posts. I've been told that these will reappear at some stage.

Was it Yodel again? :lol:

I do dish out a fair few 'likes' on here, predominately on members uploaded images, but general posting not so much.

I see the post count more of an 'indicator of forum activity' 

The developers of the software decided that ranking based on reputation is more valuable than post count. The idea is that the quality of posts is a better metric to rank on that the quantity of posts. It's a direction that a lot of the users of the software supported too. The advantage of this method is that all the members of the forum decide, collectively, who gets onto the top contributors' list by liking content that they consider adds value. You only make the list if you post quality content that other members like, therefore you can't just post lots of posts any more, you have to post quality posts. The ethos is, quality is better than quantity.

The software can't actually rank on post count any longer.

12 minutes ago, Craig said:

The developers of the software decided that ranking based on reputation is more valuable than post count. The idea is that the quality of posts is a better metric to rank on that the quantity of posts. It's a direction that a lot of the users of the software supported too. The advantage of this method is that all the members of the forum decide, collectively, who gets onto the top contributors' list by liking content that they consider adds value. You only make the list if you post quality content that other members like, therefore you can't just post lots of posts any more, you have to post quality posts. The ethos is, quality is better than quantity.

The software can't actually rank on post count any longer.

Well, I think Pete is this years number one, but next year I'm going for top three at least ;)

• Like 2

I prefer the reputation rating a lot more than spam counter, which is kind of what it is really. At the end of the day though I don't care about any sort of ranking in that way, it's not a competition after all.

• Like 2

I'm with Daz on this one. The post count is merely an arbitrary number that does not indicate/point to quality/credibility as there is no metric to quantify what the number of posts were. If someone posts an absolute gem of information it is still useful regardless of whether that poster has 10 or 10,000 posts.

I'm not worried about post count coming back at all personally.

Thanks to all the EMS staff for putting all this work in btw, very much appreciated. I know I've not posted as prolifically as I used to but I've had so many equipment issues and those that have known me on here for the long run and helped me so much to get started in this wonderful hobby know that I'm very much a planetary guy and the planets being so poorly positioned have limited my contributions in the planetary imaging section. I hope to have my gear sorted before Jupiter slips away next year so should be a little more active in the planetary imaging section again :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catman161 said:

I know I've not posted as prolifically as I used to but I've had so many equipment issues and those that have known me on here for the long run and helped me so much to get started in this wonderful hobby know that I'm very much a planetary guy and the planets being so poorly positioned have limited my contributions in the planetary imaging section. I hope to have my gear sorted before Jupiter slips away next year so should be a little more active in the planetary imaging section again :)

You'll have to start going for some other targets Felix.

Your looooooong focal Planeta should be good at showing small planetary nebulae, and double and multiple stars, even smaller clusters and DSO's visually :) And it maybe even worth having a go at developing your AP technique on these targets, especially the stars and small planetary nebulae. You might even be able to get a focal reducer for it.

Just a thought. :thumbsup:

I'm just thinking I might have a daytime go at Venus tomorrow and the moon tonight though the clouds keep coming and going. 

1 hour ago, catman161 said: I know I've not posted as prolifically as I used to but I've had so many equipment issues and those that have known me on here for the long run and helped me so much to get started in this wonderful hobby know that I'm very much a planetary guy and the planets being so poorly positioned have limited my contributions in the planetary imaging section. I hope to have my gear sorted before Jupiter slips away next year so should be a little more active in the planetary imaging section again [emoji4]

You'll have to start going for some other targets Felix.

Your looooooong focal Planeta should be good at showing small planetary nebulae, and double and multiple stars, even smaller clusters and DSO's visually [emoji4] And it maybe even worth having a go at developing your AP technique on these targets, especially the stars and small planetary nebulae. You might even be able to get a focal reducer for it.

Just a thought. :thumbsup:

I'm a planetary imager only. If I can't image the planets I do visual of all the other stuff :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned........?

When posting a new topic, the 'Preview new topic' button has disappeared.

This was useful for me on the old forum, for proof reading and editing typo's etc.

Can we have it back please....?

2 hours ago, philjay said:

Theres always the moon Felix:)should be bostin through the cass

He should see the Clangers with that! :D

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned........?

When posting a new topic, the 'Preview new topic' button has disappeared.

This was useful for me on the old forum, for proof reading and editing typo's etc.

Can we have it back please....?

I agree, it was a handy tool for proofing.

There is no preview button anymore. The editor is a real WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, so a preview button would not show anything different to what is seen in the editor. As such, the developers removed it.

25 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

What has happened to the edit button? It doesn't appear any more

I can see it on my latest post but it has disappeared from my earlier post

9 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

I see the edit button on all my posts - just not on other folks posts. :)

Do you see it in your older posts Kim?

6 minutes ago, TasKiNG said:

I can see it on my latest post but it has disappeared from my earlier post

Has it now disappeared from your last post above Dave?

Just now, Brantuk said:

Ahhhh - it appears there's a time limit - mine has disappeared now from the post above - hmmmm......

We are sussing it out :thumbsup:

I think editing is not allowed after someone else has viewed the post.