• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New forum upgrade issues / questions.

Daz Type-R

Testing image upload: (I've put myself in the Dark Site Members group so I have the same restrictions, if any apply...)

blue_sky.jpg.27916bc742e9d1c8531b065d42f

39 minutes ago, philjay said:

Images in the post, says 0.5MB max total file size, rejects even a 29kb image

I can't see any issue. I checked the permissions and they're set up correctly. I've put myself into the Dark Site Members group and attempted an upload, which worked. The image uploaded was 41kb in size.

Can you clear your cache using CTRL + F5 and try again. If it still fails, can you upload the image to another site, like PhotoBucket, and send me a link so I can check it? (I'm clutching at straws to be honest...)

Hi Craig, it worked the other day but try as I might tonight, 4 times, each time reducing the file size till it was a few kb and it still rejected it. I eventually linked the url from my dropbox, the image 7s in Rons afapter thread

Edited by philjay

leitz2a.jpg.85dbfc84d9484c3884b22fc23395

Works every time for me.

Can you provide any info on your OS, browser, browser version, addons, etc?

Ok - I logged out (Signed out) and the banner came back. So I signed in again and the banner has gone. Wierd or what?

12 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Ok - I logged out (Signed out) and the banner came back. So I signed in again and the banner has gone. Wierd or what?

Exactly the same log out banner ok  log in no banner CTRL F5 nothing changes. OS Vista (not tried on 7 or 8 or 10) Chrome browser ver 46.etc up todate.

Edited by stash

12 hours ago, Brantuk said:

14 minutes ago, stash said:

Exactly the same log out banner ok  log in no banner CTRL F5 nothing changes. OS Vista (not tried on 7 or 8 or 10) Chrome browser ver 46.etc up todate.

@Brantuk - It makes perfect sense now, thanks to what @stash put in the Shoutbox. When you log out you should be reverted to the default theme. When you log back in you'll be placed on your preferred theme.

The theme you're using to hide the sidebar isn't supported. The software no longer allows the sidebar to be hidden, so to achieve what you wanted and hide the sidebar required a quick and dirty 'hack'. The forum is simply not rendering that element any longer. I knew there could be other consequences of doing so, albeit all cosmetic, and it sounds like it's breaking the animation on the theme. Without investing a lot of time, there won't be a fix forthcoming. The theme simply isn't designed to operate as I've made it do so.

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

@Brantuk - It makes perfect sense now, thanks to what @stash put in the Shoutbox. When you log out you should be reverted to the default theme. When you log back in you'll be placed on your preferred theme.

The theme you're using to hide the sidebar isn't supported. The software no longer allows the sidebar to be hidden, so to achieve what you wanted and hide the sidebar required a quick and dirty 'hack'. The forum is simply not rendering that element any longer. I knew there could be other consequences of doing so, albeit all cosmetic, and it sounds like it's breaking the animation on the theme. Without investing a lot of time, there won't be a fix forthcoming. The theme simply isn't designed to operate as I've made it do so.

thats fine with me as i dont want the animation or the sidebar

It did work before - even with the hidden sidebar - so maybe the security patch has disabled it for some reason. Anyway - no biggie with me - the main stuff is there so I'm cool. :)

Next one - all my icons in the editing window are now gone - I'm guessing that's to do with this sidebar stuff too?

21 hours ago, Craig said:

leitz2a.jpg.85dbfc84d9484c3884b22fc23395

Works every time for me.

Can you provide any info on your OS, browser, browser version, addons, etc?

Thanks Craig, sorry to have taken awhile to reply but not for want of trying Im now having to use the desktop to reply. I attempted several times to reply on my Samsung Tablet earlier but had no end of problems.

The PC I was using when I had image upload problems was my Tosh Sat Pro laptop running windows 7, IE11, no addons.I had emptied the cache several times also 

I tried several times and just got the You cant up[load more than 500kb message even when I was down to 29kb. All works fine with my desktop running the same OS and browser.

I am now finding the forum extremely clunky in the Samsung tablet also making posting extremely difficult. I tend to use the laptop and tablet more than the desktop. Prior to the change all had  been running fine on all devices, now I am having problems on my 2 main devices, lappy and tablet

I can't replicate the issue at all and I've tried 5 different browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE11 and Vivaldi. They all appear to work perfectly. The only difference is that none of them, with the exception of Firefox, had opened EMS before, so none of them, except Firefox, had a cache of the previous version of EMS. I cleared the Firefox cache down as soon as we'd upgraded and had no issues.

I've also trawled through the IPS bug tracker, getting through about 400 active and closed bugs, but nobody else has reported a bug similar to what you're experiencing. This version of the software has been live for about a month now, so I would have expected it to have already cropped up. All of the editor issues raised with the developers so far have been resolved entirely through clearing down browser cache. I've also got a gaming forum on the same software with a theme from the same company, which has been live for nearly two months now (upgraded from an earlier and buggier version of this software), and we've had no issues reported. I'm afraid it sounds like a cache issue. The fact it works on the desktop but not the laptop further indicates a cache issue with the laptop, especially if the desktop is running the same OS and browser.

The only way to confirm this, on the laptop at least, is to use a third party cleaner, like CCleaner, to wipe the cache clean, or to try another browser that hasn't been used to access EMS before. If you try CCleaner it will wipe your cookies unless you tell it not to. (It's actually easier just to try another browser - you won't lose anything from your current browser that way.)

I've also tested an android device and an iPad, both tablet form factors, and again could not replicate your issues. It appears to work fine on both. The Samsung tablet I used is a very old one, it's the first iteration of the Galaxy Tab 7. If there was a problem I would have expected it to show since the OS and browser on it is very out of date. It worked fine.

The above is, of course, entirely guess work based on the information I have and the testing I've done. Without being able to replicate the issue it's impossible for me to confirm what the cause is or, indeed, to fix it. Try as I may, I just can't find a problem.

Don't worry about  it too much on account of me Craig - I can get used to the sidebar - I just have never liked screens that are busy with too much stuff - especially when I don't use half of it. But it's not a biggie - maybe a later patch will fix things.

Thanks for your work looking into it though. :)

Don't worry about it Craig.

All worked fine before the new forum, it doesn't now, it just means my visits and post count will be down because I cant access the site properly from my usual method. Im on the desktop at the mo btw.

Phil, have you tried again on the other machines, just to make finally sure they have

not suddenly decided to like the new forum?  I think Craig may have tried a few things

so if you could log on a final time with the offending items and recheck?

Sheila

Can't use the search bar on main page. Samsung note 3 running android kit kat. When you touch the search bar the key pad flashes up then disappears. So unable to enter text.

Could just be me but....

2 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Can't use the search bar on main page. Samsung note 3 running android kit kat. When you touch the search bar the key pad flashes up then disappears. So unable to enter text.

Could just be me but....

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

I have exactly the same problem as Andy on my android phone.

I can replicate this so have reported it to the theme author. It's a theme related issue as it does not do this on a stock installation. :) 

He's on holiday for the next 2 weeks though, so I don't expect an immediate response.

Thanks Craig, I can search my memory for a couple of weeks instead of using the search bar :)

Good job we are all having teething troubles with the new forum and posting in this thread. Activity is a bit quiet elsewhere on EMS at the moment :dontknow:

Ok.....

This one's puzzling me.

Quite often, when looking through the forum, i find if i use the 'back' button on my browser, i get thrown out altogether (of the forum)

and have to sign in again. This is down to habit really. With the old forum, and indeed on SGL or CN i always use the 'back' button on my browser

to come out of a particular thread.

If i use the 'home tab' on the forum (or relevant sub menu) its ok. Its just habit with me using my browsers 'back' button.

The above fault is also a bit intermittent. Sometimes it doesn't do it.

I guess this may or not be a fault as such. I will get used to using the forum this way.

But it seems odd that my browsers 'back' button is causing this issue.

For the record, i'm using a mid 2010 Apple iMac, running up to date software. (OSX 10.11.1 El Capitan, Safari v 9.0.1)

Thanks, Rob.

7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Ok.....

This one's puzzling me.

Quite often, when looking through the forum, i find if i use the 'back' button on my browser, i get thrown out altogether (of the forum)

and have to sign in again. This is down to habit really. With the old forum, and indeed on SGL or CN i always use the 'back' button on my browser

to come out of a particular thread.

If i use the 'home tab' on the forum (or relevant sub menu) its ok. Its just habit with me using my browsers 'back' button.

The above fault is also a bit intermittent. Sometimes it doesn't do it.

I guess this may or not be a fault as such. I will get used to using the forum this way.

But it seems odd that my browsers 'back' button is causing this issue.

For the record, i'm using a mid 2010 Apple iMac, running up to date software. (OSX 10.11.1 El Capitan, Safari v 9.0.1)

Thanks, Rob.

I will check mine later for similar issues, although rarely I get this problem on other forums I use.

I've noticed a script or font issue too, some older thread titles appear with non uniform text on iPad.

For me, despite the 'teething' issues the forum runs well, and it definitely feels more modern or 'up to date'