• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Do you like the new forum

Brantuk

Just practising with polls (feel free to answer)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new forum

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Like all new upgrades it takes time to get used to it.

I think this is the fourth new forum we have had, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I like the new forum and above all it's way more secure then our old forum was.

I would also like to thank Craig for making this possible, and the mods and admins for ironing out the majority of the bugs before it was released.

Edited by Doc

Unfortunately it was just a matter of time before it became necessary anyway, the old forum was going to be unsupported in the near future. This is a very good one from the security point of view, so all of us benefit from this.

Craig has worked really hard on this, there has been a lot of back room testing, poking and prodding to get to this stage. So from me, a personal thanks to Craig and the back room gang for getting it to this point.

I have had to clear my browser cache to get it to work correctly, but after doing that I seem to have all the bells and whistles working okay.

I am off for a roam round now. :)

• Like 1

I'm still finding my way around the new site, I kinda miss the post count in popular contributors, as I see it's been replaced for 'liked content' 

Also, the member rank system seems to have lost its fun factor?

To add, I do like the the thread, post layout :) it's much better on tablet, and the text  is easy on the eyes (mostly using tablet)

I like the merging too lol

2 hours ago, M__ said:

Also, the member rank system seems to have lost its fun factor?

That was a bug, well spotted. :) I've fixed it.

If something is gone it might be a bug as opposed to a loss of the feature. It's worth posting in the bugs thread that Daz created as I'm checking this frequently.

I voted yes, but I am biased. :lol: 

So far 12 out of 16 cats say Yes, and only 4 Undecided. The good thing is nobody is saying No.

I quite like it too - some stuff I used regularly is gone, and some new stuff is now here. But the important stuff is as it was - which is the main thing. It has the same ease of use and colour schemes as before, with just a slightly different way of doing some stuff. On the whole a workable and pleasant format. :)

I'll be honest : i'm struggling with it a bit. :drama:

I did vote yes, but i should have gone undecided, or even no.

But thats just me. My computer skills are fairly poor, so big changes take me a while to get to grips with.

Is the new forum optimised / compatible to work with Mac ?

All my old posts and signature have all been stretched and there are odd bits of text everywhere.

But i do appreciate the work by the admin / mods thats gone on behind the scenes.

Obviously things require updating from time to time. I'm sure i'll soon get to grips with it.

Rob, sorry your having a difficult time with the new forum.

The new forum software has been designed to incorporate new industry standards (for example carriage return now does a new paragraph rather than a new line) and because of this, I too have had to edit my title as it was massive and had odd characters.

We simply could not of stayed on the old forum software for much longer, as it was rapidly going out of support.

Unfortunatly, these standards are out of our control and are set by the software creators based on new industry standards I mentioned above.

Trust me when I say, with time and practice it becomes really simple and intuative, I struggled with it to start with while testing but soon got the hang of it.

Edited by Daz Type-R
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Is the new forum optimised / compatible to work with Mac ?

All my old posts and signature have all been stretched and there are odd bits of text everywhere.

Looks like it may be a problem with your signature Rob.  It seems to be blank but is creating a large blank space at the bottom of all your posts.  

Just tried it on my Mac and PC and its the same on both.

5 minutes ago, TasKiNG said:

Looks like it may be a problem with your signature Rob.  It seems to be blank but is creating a large blank space at the bottom of all your posts.  

Just tried it on my Mac and PC and its the same on both.

Thanks guys.

I've scrapped my signature and will update it.

Well done to Craig and all others who must have put in a huge amount of effort.

I NOW like the new forum! :)

i use an iPad Air tablet and at first could not get the side info and Home page layout... Until I turned my IPad from portrait to landscape position, then all came good! :facepalm: :lol:

cheers!

Dunno yet so Ive put undecided.

I understand the need for moving and appreciate all the work that's gone into it but my first reaction when I saw it was :huh:The shoutbox takes up most of the room when first entering. Yes I know theres a scroll bar but the SB dominates plus Im not an avid SB user or fan for that matter it seems just a bit strange that the SB which isn't as popular as it used to be takes centre stage so to speak.

Spose that's me being an old dog not wanting to change, I will get used to it Im sure

Edited by philjay
  • Like 2

Phil - you can reduce the size of the shoutbox by grabbing the little triangle under the slider bar on the right of the shout box and moving it upwards. Hth :)

Edited by Brantuk

18 minutes ago, philjay said:

Cheers Kim, sorry but no triangle showing on my lappy or tablet

I've just reduced the default height by 100 pixels (a third). Does that make it a bit less 'in your face'?

I've mostly been viewing and posting via tapatalk for some time now as it's convenient from my phone.

Just used the phones browser to have a look and have to say it's great. Works very well as a mobile version on android. I will likely visit the proper site more often now... if I can get out of the habit...

Signing off from tapatalk?!

Steve

Really like the look of the new forum. 

Works well on my phone and tablet too.

The custom activity streams are great. 

Right Im not undecided now, can I change my vote to No please?

Sorry to put a downer on things but last week the old forum worked on all my devices no probs just like other for a, SGL, Cloudynights, Olympus Camera etc etc, no probs.

Now I am having posting problems on my tablet, been trying several times to reply to a thread today with all sorts of frustrations, plus my lappy has had problems uploading files. To an old codger like me who is rapidly turning into a pc luddite it doesn't do my blood pressure any good to be swearing at tablets and lappys these days:D

So far I have been only able to make everything work on my desktop (which I do not use more than say 3 times a week). On the DT Ive wandered around, added stuff to the gallery, posted, etc and all works fine fine but not on lappy or tablet so sorry guys, you did ask.

Please don't take this as negative criticism, its purely feedback.

As stated before, I understand the reasons and appreciate the hard work that's gone into doing the change and Im sure if it worked on all my devices I would be as happy as Larry

Hi Phil

Interested in what you say as I only use a laptop at home and have not had any trouble.  I use a desktop at work and that is fine.  The only slight issues

i have had have been on the I phone, but that may just be me :wacko:  not used to using phone much

What lap top do you have, cant comment on tablet as i dont use i pads etc

Sheila