• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astronomik CLS Clip for Canon EOS Cameras

Brady

Morning all

Quick question. does anyone use the above filter in there imaging at all?, they give it a good piece of kit and i have a lovely orange ball in clear view of my scope that is not the sun, so other than a .22 pellet which god forbid i would never do :ph34r: i am looking for some way to reduce the street glare which is showing a hell of a lot in my images..or in fact are you using anything other than this clip?

Any help as always appreciated

Wayne

Edited by Brady

7 hours ago, Brady said:

Morning all

Quick question. does anyone use the above filter in there imaging at all?, they give it a good piece of kit and i have a lovely orange ball in clear view of my scope that is not the sun, so other than a .22 pellet which god forbid i would never do :ph34r: i am looking for some way to reduce the street glare which is showing a hell of a lot in my images..or in fact are you using anything other than this clip?

Any help as always appreciated

Wayne

Hi Wayne 

The clip filter is a brilliant bit of kit.

It is a bit pricey but well worth the investment.

On 11/28/2015, 7:30:09, Ron Clarke said:

I'll second that! Also use mine in a modded 1000d..

Ron

OK so it turns out there are two filters, one for modded and on for standard...got very very close to pushing the pay now button then started thinking about modding the camera, is it really worth doing? the camera is solely for astro and will never be used with a lens and i really dont want to blow £100 on a filter that will be no good 3 months along if i get the camera modded...so advice again please guys....Is it worth it?

Cheers

I spoke at length with Andy Elliss (Astronomiser) about whether or not the clip filter (or fixed cls) is needed on modded dslr's. If it's a pre 1000D model then it's main use is to protect the chip which just makes it a very expensive dust cap. Since (and including) the 1000D there are three filters in Canon cameras, only two of which are removed in the mod process. So the third filter remaining in place maintains the protection and the cls filters aren't necessarily needed - unless for some specific imaging filtering requirements. Hth :)

Cheers Kim, the only reason im buying the filter is because of light pollution, a lovely orange glow i have around here, i was assuming that whatever mod i go for i would still need the filter to reduce this? or am i out of bounds here?

Thanks

The basis of the mod is to remove the red filter in order to let the hydrogen alpha wavelengths from nebulae get through - producing all those beautiful pink/red dust clouds you see in e.g. the Orion Nebula. Some mods also include removal of the UV filter to let other wavelengths through from other deep sky objects (sorry I'm not familiar with all of them).

But it does leave one filter in place which is optimised for day time shooting - so a cls may well improve light transmission if you have a lot of LP. I'm on the limit of my knowledge here so can't confirm yes or no if you should get it. But one of the imagers will hopefully be along soon to explain that one for you in a little more depth. :)

Edited by Brantuk

The CLS filter not only filters light pollution but also helps boost contrast in many deep sky objects. The astronomik one is particularly good for this giving a lot better contrast. 

Cheers Kim, im going to give Andy a shout i think to clear things up, im going for the clip anyway Mike due to pollution its just which one?  "unmodded" or "Modded"..do i get the camera modded or not? i noticed your sig includes both cameras, can you tell me if you can tell much difference between the two?

These are both without filters but are the same exposures etc.

Unmodded:

64149_10150659075858917_1392801818_n.jpg

Modded:

521808_10150684095338917_334483098_n.jpg

I might add these were from a few years ago when I fist started out. I think they show the difference quite well though.

Edited by Perkil8r

Good man!! I used to think CLS meant Clear but soon found out it's City Light Suppression and it works!

Cheers

Ron

Camera on its way for a mod and filter on its way here....missus is asking why Xmas has suddenly become more expensive...:lol:

It just so happens i have enough saved up for the timber for the new obsy, at least i will have somewhere to sleep :brr:

• Like 2

I have the CLR CCD, and it's great. But it does give the sky a blue hue. Pixinsight takes care of it easily, but if you have any doubts about removing it, it might be worth while trying a pre-processed image with your own software of choice.

An alternative that doesn't leave such a hue is the IDEA LPS, but I don't think it comes in a clip format.

CLS filter is here as an early present from Santa, Andy at Astronomiser is returning my modded cam on Thursday.....now where is that damn sky??? :facepalm2: