• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What are we waiting for?

Smithysteve

What are we waiting for?

On this big 'merry go round' planet of ours we have to wait for the right time of year to see some things at their best.

Over the year, I look forward to seeing all my favourite objects again!

When they turn up, I enjoy them briefly before they drift off again.

I am always adding new sights to the list, so the list is slowly growing and as i slowly improve my optical hardware, they are getting better to look at too!

Right now I am looking forward to Orion, with the great M42, being 'up there' and available in the early evening sky.?
It's great to see Auriga, and Gemini coming into view with all the wealth they bring.?
Ursa Major is swinging round to be directly above us...?

In the new year, Jupiter it's moons, their transits, it's GRS, belts and barges.?
I am looking forward to 'The Spring galaxies' in and around Leo. ?

So what are you looking forward to? ?

I am looking and waiting for only one thing     -------  A CLEAR SKY !!!!!    

I have had a customers NEQ6 sat on my pier in the obs for three weeks waiting for a clear sky so I can test it for a guiding problem. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Graham
  • Like 2

My focus is on planetary observation, had a few good early morning visits to the back yard for Jupiter, Mars and Venus.

Like others, heavy winds and stratus clouds have been a real party pooper....

I hope to bag Uranus and maybe Neptune in the future.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to Jupiter at a more sociable hour and trying to do some sketching of it's details. And trying to bag a few more fuzzies, especially Messier's from the Virgo Galaxy cluster. And yes Graham, A CLEAR SKY!!!! 

• Like 1

Trying the new Dob out at Belper, with Jupiter, Mars and Saturn to look forward to in the new year.

Hope to get a tracking platform for it in 2016 and try a bit of planetary imaging.

I now have the Dob mount, and am in the middle of a few mods to the scope.

The tube is 50% flocked, and i should have my new focuser soon.

• Like 1

Going to Belper to see Orion Nebula through my 14" dob for the first time. Trees and houses block the view from my back garden. 

19 hours ago, Graham said:

I am looking and waiting for only one thing     -------  A CLEAR SKY !!!!!    

I have had a customers NEQ6 sat on my pier in the obs for three weeks waiting for a clear sky so I can test it for a guiding problem. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Yep same here Graham. Last time I used a scope was 22nd Nov. Havent even been able to use my solar scope due to weather

8 hours ago, seven_legs said:

Going to Belper to see Orion Nebula through my 14" dob for the first time. Trees and houses block the view from my back garden. 

You are going to absolutely love exploring M42 using the 14". :2thumbsup:

I saw it in mine at EMS4 and pretty much lost my dark adaptation on it! I'd never seen so much detail in it as that night :)

Among the many things I am waiting to see, there is a slightly unusual three for one object I want to examine in more detail with my dob.

M104 the Sombrero Galaxy, Canali 1 the Stargate asterism and Pothier 11 the Jaws asterism. They will all appear in the same field of view with my 25mm eyepiece...

Left to right - Stargate, Jaws, Sombrero...

SombreroJawsStargate.png

Stargate asterism...

stargate.jpg

Sombrero galaxy and Jaws asterism...

jaws.jpg

• Like 2

I'm waiting for Saturn. For some reason, I never managed to take a good image of it... despite it possibly being the most spectacular of the planets.

• Like 1

I want one really good night to spend in Virgo, other than all those galaxies, I want to get 3C273. This is a Quasar and is achievable in an 8" scope, but it's difficult to identify as it just looks like a star. It varies a bit but is around mag 12.5 - 13.

It's around 2.4 billion light years away, so probably the furthest object visible in amateur scopes.

Edit, You can print them and put them in poly pockets to take out with you.

3C273-A.pdf

3C273-B.pdf

3C273-C.pdf

3C273-D.pdf

3C273-E.pdf

Edited by BAZ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

I want one really good night to spend in Virgo, other than all those galaxies, I want to get 3C273. This is a Quasar and is achievable in an 8" scope, but it's difficult to identify as it just looks like a star. It varies a bit but is around mag 12.5 - 13.

It's around 2.4 billion light years away, so probably the furthest object visible in amateur scopes.

Edit, You can print them and put them in poly pockets to take out with you.

3C273-A.pdf

3C273-B.pdf

3C273-C.pdf

3C273-D.pdf

3C273-E.pdf

That sounds an interesting target Martyn, I will put it on my bucket list ?

Like you say it is a long long way away ? So well worth trying to see something sooooo far away!

Thanks for sharing that one..

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

Edited by Smithysteve

On 9 December 2015 at 17:40, animaal said:

I'm waiting for Saturn. For some reason, I never managed to take a good image of it... despite it possibly being the most spectacular of the planets.

Hi Animaal, Saturn is worth waiting for. I love it too. It's amazing to think just how far away it is when you are looking at it. It is also great to pick out half a dozen of its moons and details in its rings and subtle shades on its disc. Saturn is going to quite low to our horizon for a few years though!

I love Jupiter too and am looking forward to transits, GRS viewing and details in Jupiters bands etc.

thanks for sharing, lots to look forward to. ?

18 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I'm hoping to see the comet. I've also got plans to do an all-out imaging assault on the Hyades.

That's great Phil, have you given up on the Sun? ?