We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
M.

What was your best astro bargain?

M.

As per title.

I can't really say I've picked up any real bargains within my short time in the hobby.

Brantuk

I once picked up a 200P dob and an HEQ5 Pro Synscan for the total sum of £500 - all in brand new and unused condition. The guy had only had them out 2 or 3 times and included the tube rings and dovetail to put the 8" tube on the HEQ5 (which usually sells for £500 to £600 on it's own).

Someone picked up an NEQ6 (old model) for £100 on SGL recently, and another guy got an NEQ6 Pro Synscan from a car boot sale for a fiver a couple years back. :)

Brantuk

Yep best ever I reckon - it was fully working too - the guy didn't know what he was selling for sure. :)

Big Al

Probably my Zeiss binos. Cheapest I'd seen them secondhand anywhere was about £599, got them for £150!:)

Bino-viewer

Past Televue 20% off sales are always good. Got my 31N at one of these.

For me personally, a brand new Feathertouch 3545 focuser that i negotiated a £300 reduction for,

and my recent eBay purchase 10" OO Newtonian which was half the price of a new one.

tuckstar

500/105 russian mirror lens, a crappy bresser skylux and an old looking scope (turned out to be my telementor) for £150 from a house clearance. Sold the lens for £250 and the bresser for £30. The zeiss will be with me for a while yet:rolleyes:

Edited by tuckstar

M.
2 hours ago, tuckstar said:

500/105 russian mirror lens, a crappy bresser skylux and an old looking scope (turned out to be my telementor) for £150 from a house clearance. Sold the lens for £250 and the bresser for £30. The zeiss will be with me for a while yet:rolleyes:

I do like that telementor of yours.

animaal

Probably  copy of Uranometria Vol 2, for £10. Or a modified Canon 450D for £90.

Having said that, PHD2 being free is amazing :)

There aren't many bargains in this hobby!