• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EP rethink.

M.

Ok, the idea is to get a 2" 55mm televue plossl in the near future, maybe xmas.

I was also thinking about selling the 24mm explore scientific, the 16mm skywatcher, and replacing them with a 21mm Hyperion.

So, my suggested new set-up.

10mm, 13mm, 21mm Hyperions with fine tuning rings.

2" 28 mm skywatcher, and 1.25" 40mm Meade for general spotting.

2" 55mm televue for some DSOs

I would also like either the 5mm Hyperion or a decent Barlow, for when conditions allow.

Is this a good idea?

The 55mm TV is a plossl with a 50 degree field of view. I think for a 2" that size I would want a wider field of view for looking at objects the size of e.g. Andromeda galaxy. The Ethos range is in the £500-£600 range and I'm sure you're not looking to spend that much on a single eyepiece. But for around £180 s/h a nice wide field 35mm TV Panoptic may be a better option with 68 degrees fov.

You also need to consider the scope you use - the Sct has a naturally narrower fov than other scopes, a Panoptic is likely to suit it better than the 55mm imho. If you'd like to test a 35mm Panoptic with your scope you'd be welcome to try mine at the next WW meeting and see what you think. (I think Daz has one too). Also consider the 24mm Panoptic - it's fabulous in my Sct and you can get them around £150'ish s/h - also has a 68 deg fov.:)

I would as well.

As animaal said 10mm is pretty close to 13mm so maybe stick with 8mm.

Also 5mm might be a bit to much for your focal length. Granted it's nice to have for those rare nights.

So you could end up with:

8, 13, 21, 28, 40, and 55mm. That's a good line up.

3 hours ago, M__ said:

40mm Meade for general spotting.

Why would you want a 1.25" 40mm EP, if it's a Meade 3000 series then are they not only 44 degree's FOV?

For general wide FOV spotting at that low power you would be better off with a 2" ep with a larger field of view, say 68 degree upwards.

I know, tell me about it...

I made the mistake of buying the 10mm + 13mm hyperions!

EP headache lol

In my scope, the 10mm offers x200, and the 13mm is around x154.

10 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Why would you want a 1.25" 40mm EP, if it's a Meade 3000 series then are they not only 44 degree's FOV?

For general wide FOV spotting at that low power you would be better off with a 2" ep with a larger field of view, say 68 degree upwards.

I kinda mean, general use. I tend to use it a fair bit.

3 hours ago, Brantuk said:

The 55mm TV is a plossl with a 50 degree field of view. I think for a 2" that size I would want a wider field of view for looking at objects the size of e.g. Andromeda galaxy. The Ethos range is in the £500-£600 range and I'm sure you're not looking to spend that much on a single eyepiece. But for around £180 s/h a nice wide field 35mm TV Panoptic may be a better option with 68 degrees fov.

You also need to consider the scope you use - the Sct has a naturally narrower fov than other scopes, a Panoptic is likely to suit it better than the 55mm imho. If you'd like to test a 35mm Panoptic with your scope you'd be welcome to try mine at the next WW meeting and see what you think. (I think Daz has one too). Also consider the 24mm Panoptic - it's fabulous in my Sct and you can get them around £150'ish s/h - also has a 68 deg fov.:)

Thanks for the offer Kim, I did hope to get out to a meet, but I'm afraid of the cold:brr:

Edited by M__

I would stick with your idea of the 55 Plossl Martin.

At least give it a go. It will (like all Tv) hold its value ok, so you can sell it on if need be.

It you want to look into the big 2" Panoptics, you'll be forking out lots of £££'s.

They also do a 41mm Pan as well as the 35.

The 41P will give you the widest fov in the 2" format (i think)

Likewise the 24P will give you the widest fov in the 1.25" format.

I'd be quite interested in comparing the 55P to the 41P. Never looked through either.

But once you start going widefield it's a one way street. You'll soon be in Ethos land.

(Bad news for your wallet :facepalm:)

Keep an eye out in the for sale section some time in the new year, a 35mm Pan may be making an appearance...........

:whistle: