• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rocket Launch heads up!!

Brantuk

Here's a link to the live Soyuz rocket launch sending the first Brit Tim Peakes to the ISS:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Principia/Principia_live

Due to go at 11:03am - exciting times. :)

Also - at 17:24pm today the capsule is due to dock with the ISS - just after a UK passover between 17:12 asnd 17:15.

So if you're sky is clear enough you may get a chance to spot it as the capsule approaches the station. It should appear as two bright dots flying through the sky. :)

If you're at home Brian Cox is doing a live launch program on BBC1 from 10:30am (on now!).

Edited by Brantuk
  • Like 2

Fantastic to see it live.

I get nervous watching it, with all the build up.

Good luck to the 3 of them for a successful mission.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Did you see that bump you get when you reach orbit. I never knew that happened. 

A bit like the one the Apollo Astronauts "experienced" part way to the Moon, which the press took literally!

It as great to see the launch live, but nerve racking too! I was pleased to see the 4 booster rockets fall away safely and for them to enter orbit. Tim seems a great sort of guy, it will be interesting to follow his time on the ISS.

thanks for sharing Kim. ?

I managed to coincide a break, and got the BBC on 3G streaming, awesome stuff. It was a nail biter wasn't it. A big thanks to the Russians on this one, without their cooperation it wouldn't be happening.

That's a great link, Kim. I am watching it at the same time as posting this! Amazing!

thanks for that ?

Oh dear - the screen went blue. TV has it on BBC1 and Sky News (8 mins delayapparently). Looks like Stellarium on the ISS crashed - or someone tripped over the webcam cable lol :)

20 Meters to docking now......

Docking not going well, had to back away at 4m as auto system failed. Yuri now docking it manually.

Alan

Docked!! They had to turn off auto, adjust the orbit, then do the docking manually - everyone's clapping in mission control. :)

I cannot believe how many muppets there are on the feed at the side. I am immensely proud of what has been achieved and saddened by the shallow end of the gene pool. They shouldn't even be allowed near electricity.