• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Numax Accubox

Nelson

Hello I ordered one of the above but managed to stop it before it went too far because I realised I want to run both my mount (eq3-2) and my laptop (Toughbook) but as I have never seen one in the flesh I wonder if it is possible to run both from the box, if so what cabelling/connectors do I need. Sheila I know has one maybe she could advise.

Melvin,

I also have one of these but here in lies your problem.

This is an empty battery box, there is no battery inside it, all this is, is the box and some nice connectors and a power meter, it does not come supplied with a battery.  So from a power point of view, you will also need a battery and I would say a decent one at that, to power both a mount and a computer, so a 110 a/h battery should suffice.  I have a 38 a/h battery in mine but its only powering a fan and 5 dew bands.

With regards to connectors, it only has 1 female cigarette port on it, so you are likely to need a splitter and possibly an inverter to run your laptop (i`m not 100% sure on this) as I have never ran a laptop off my battery as I`m a visual monkey!!!

Hope this helps.

Edited by Daz Type-R

no need for inverter for laptop as you can buy cigarette 12 v supply for laptops  like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/170586746540?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=pla-131843267586&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

, just google on Amazon or Ebay and you should be able to get one for your particular connector on the lappy.  They do take a bit of juice though.  You can run a cigarette lighter socket off the terminals inside the box from the battery, through the air vents to the outside.  Mine has the one on the outside plus two more coming from inside the box, you can buy these from maplins/ebay/amazon

just make sure the draw is big enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/300776312617?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=pla-131843281026&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

like this with fuse i think..., cant find the one i originally bought

Thanks for the replies, along with the Numax box I have identified the battery, it's a 85ah leisure deep cycle 12v, along with a ctek multi Mxs 5.0 12v smart charger. I'm not electrically or DIY minded so it will be either a few trips to Maplins or a lot of questions posted here. Once again thanks.

58 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Thanks for the replies, along with the Numax box I have identified the battery, it's a 85ah leisure deep cycle 12v, along with a ctek multi Mxs 5.0 12v smart charger. I'm not electrically or DIY minded so it will be either a few trips to Maplins or a lot of questions posted here. Once again thanks.

neither am I but I managed easily with the stuff from Maplins etc. :)

Hi I have today received the Numax Accubox and the 85ah battery and I only ordered then yesterday (Friday 18th Dec) I also ordered a smart charger and the two items suggested by Shiela. When Ihave everything I will attempt to fit them together so wish me luck. I dread hooking my laptop to the battery I bet it will fry!!!!!

You need a vehicle charger for your lappy, it plugs into a standard lighter socket and then powers the lappy. Do not under any circumstances try plugging the lappy direct to the battery, you will invoke the white smoke of death. You are right, you would fry the laptop. I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs here, just trying to prevent a disaster if you weren't sure.

• Like 2

It all is very straight forward nelson. The wiring is all colour coded so you can't hook up the wires to the battery terminals incorrectly really. As Martyn says though get the appropriate cigarette socket lead for your laptop and plug in. I had this very box when I had a more mobile setup. I added a bank of female cigarette sockets as it only has the one and I wanted to power more accessories (mount/dew control/laptop) I bought that from maplins and simply screwed it to the lid of the battery box. It used to power all of the above with no problems at all. Anyway here's a shot of the box with the female socket adapter attached. HTH.

9bb5682c79a009790e39a2a58a86522e.jpg

Hi useless here, I unpacked both the Numax Accubox and battery but the connectors on the top of the battery are much larger than the ring connectors on the ends of the cables that are in the top of the box. What do I need to buy to fit one to the other? Please help, I know it seems a rather nieve situation but you must remember I'm hopeless. Could anyone post a pic which shows the battery fitted too the cables inside the box.

Suspect the battery fittings need opening up by removing the bolts and driving a large screwdriver into the gap if like the one below.

Regularly use a 12V adapter to run the laptop, with no problems sofar

Chris

IMG_20151220_151646.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I have tried to post a pic but I over cropped it as the size was beyond the size allowed, sorry, I think I now know what I need and that is battery terminals. I'm going to Maplins tomorrow, wish me luck. Do you know how to delete posted pics, I may then be able to upload one that is helpful, either now or in the future, also how can I see the size in order to be able to post it?

image.jpeg

Hello everyone and merry xmas and happy new year. I have today received both of the items suggested by Sheila for my Accubox. The terminals on the cigarette one are too small to fit onto the battery terminals where the wing nuts hold things in place. They may fit onto the two terminals that are on the outside, the ones with the plastic screw tops, top of the box but I don't want to attach them there if I need to fit larger ring terminals. Is this where I fit them, also. Can they be used to attach the charger or do I need to take everything off the battery terminals to attach the charger? Sorry for asking, what to some may find common sense, but I don't want to do the wrong thing. Please advise.

no not directly to those terminals you need something like this and the rings on you cigarette lighter socket go on to the smaller post, sorry

about the small pic :( 

1-100-04.jpg.5bf49b0df20d4ad00b69858ba61

Edited by Sheila

Hello Sheila thanks for the pic, the battery terminals I purchased I think are M10, the other size is M8 but the inside measurement of the ring connectors on the cigarette thingy is just 6mm. Do I have to change the ring connectors or will they fit on the post/s on the battery terminal in the pic? Where did you buy the battery terminals? I purchased the same cigarette connector directly from your post. I have connected everything else to the Numax box and battery, this is the last thing and will allow me to power both the mount and my laptop. Thanks for you help and advice.

You just fit the ring connectors onto the smaller post on the connecter and bolt down it does not have to be exact fit just need it to make connection   The connectors were already supplied in the battery I bought. 

Sheila

Hi I have just had the box out and the only thing in it is some polystyrene packaging. I had a good look the day the battery arrived and could only see the battery. I bought some battery terminals online that cost £13 including delivery. I am a bit stuck now so I supposeI will have to buy some more battery terminals, this time I'll order the smaller size post ( I didn't know there are different sizes.)

Hi I hope this is the end of this issue. Last night I was trolling the web looking for an answer to this, I had just purchased a pair of battery terminals with 8mm posts, then I found on the Maplins site a double 12v cigarette lighter adaptor but the Leicester store has not got one so I opened the online chat box and was told it is discontinued but stores around the country have some in stock and that I could call in to the Leicester store and order one, so this morning I did. It costs only £5. Anyone wanting to power more than one thing from their battery this it ideal as you can get two or three sets but be quick as they are discontinued so once they have gone their gone.

Hi I hope this is the end of this issue. Last night I was trolling the web looking for an answer to this, I had just purchased a pair of battery terminals with 8mm posts, then I found on the Maplins site a double 12v cigarette lighter adaptor but the Leicester store has not got one so I opened the online chat box and was told it is discontinued but stores around the country have some in stock and that I could call in to the Leicester store and order one, so this morning I did. It costs only £5. Anyone wanting to power more than one thing from their battery this it ideal as you can get two or three sets but be quick as they are discontinued so once they have gone their gone.

Hi Melvin,

Did you not fancy going for the quadruple 12v socket set I posted above?? Gives more flexibility for further power.

Hi Felix, the type I have purchased fit into the existing cigarette hole without me having to wire anything up. Looking at your post it appears there is some wiring to do inside the box and I'm about as good with that as fly in the air.

Hi Felix, the type I have purchased fit into the existing cigarette hole without me having to wire anything up. Looking at your post it appears there is some wiring to do inside the box and I'm about as good with that as fly in the air.

No wiring at all. It's a cig plug on one end which you plug in to the battery box sock5 and then the bank of 4 sockets just either sticks to or screws into to the top of the battery box. The wire you see is just the coiled up lead of the 4 socket extension. I used a sandwich bag wire tie to keep the wire coiled up and simply slid it in the space between the plug and the battery box to look neat :)

Hi, how did you screw them onto the box. Possibly a daft question but I need an idiots guide to anything I do, well most things anyway.

You don't have to screw it on to the lid I just chose to. It actually comes with a 3M stick pad anyway. No need for Velcro if you don't want.