• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Numax Accubox

Nelson

I bought one of these over a year ago and it runs my azeq6 plus "other" bits(Camera,tablet etc) - like the fact I can see one the port is on or off - a bit bright and blue when on - and cheaper than maplins !!

Just make sure that the cables can carry the load else you will have an unintentional dew heater.   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Light-Switch-4-Way-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-12V-24V-USB-/311487831754?hash=item48861f1eca:g:yF0AAOSwLzdWTFFu  

Hello , where would I be able to purchase the correct cable so that I can power my Canon 600d camera from my battery?

I'm sure I asked the wrong question there it should be, what cables etc. do I need to power my camera from my leisure battery. Cable, inverter everything.

18 hours ago, Nelson said:

Hello , where would I be able to purchase the correct cable so that I can power my Canon 600d camera from my battery?

Different approaches 2 options outlined here ( but are others google it ) -

1. Just buy a camera grip with two batteries for example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Battery-LP-E8-Canon-Camera/dp/B004UTR4HO

2. Modify a camera battery to attach wires to modified battery but this needs a DC-DC converter (plus cable,plus plug etc) as the camera batteries are not 12V   or buy one of these http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/canonpowerpro.htm

Option (1) is cheaper than (2 Buy ready made) and IMO means less wires to trip over or get tangled

Morning all, I have purchased a camera cable from Astronomiser, just waiting for it to arrive. Anyway today's question is, I purchased the second item on Sheila's post above, but there were no instructions relating to the switch on the top of the thing. It goes from D 24 to 15v. I'm not sure what it means so I set it on the lowest setting (15v) and plugged in my Toughbook laptop, whilst it was showing 'charging' when I hovered over the battery icon on the laptop screen, the screen kept going very bright then duller, as if there was a power shortage. Which setting should I use? I have tried to connect to my HP laptop but there isn't a tip that fits. I should have paid more attention in the electronics class at school !!! Please help.

I assume you googled and the one you bought matched the voltage and connector of you laptop as mentioned in the post.  If so

look on your AC/DC adaptor that you normally charge your laptop with and it will tell you what voltage

it operates at,  My Alien is about 19V ish, dont know what yours will be.  Its normally printed on the black converter

box between the AC plug and the plug in to the laptop

Sheila

Hi, I have tried various chargers for my Toughbook laptop, even one that was sold as specific to my model, but it appears that the power socket has been bastardised at some point so I am left with the charger that came with it. My question is, if I changed the wall plug to a cigarette lighter type would it be safe, can I do it. I'm not electrically minded and do not want to fry anything. Please help

I assume the wall plug you mean normal household (three pin).  Between that and your actual connection to the laptop is the DC converter ??  black box?  if this is the case it requires

an AC input to convert to 19v ish DC, so I am pretty sure it wont work.  I am no sparky so someone else might have some ideas

Sheila

We would need pictures to confirm what we are dealing with, but unless you are 100% sure, don't ever connect anything from a wall socket. These are 240 volts and are usually fused at 32 amps in the distribution board. These mechanical fuses (MCB's) take a few milliseconds to operate and if you get a dead short across live and neutral, you have the potential to draw hundreds of amps for just that split second before anything trips. It all depends on what resistance it encounters, this includes humans as well. Newer houses should be protected with an RCD ( Residual Current Device), these are designed to trip that fast that you should not receive a fatal shock, but this is no guarantee as it might not work correctly.

If your computer supply has a wire that has a three pin plug on one end, a black box in the middle and a plug that corresponds to the one in your computer, then this is a 240v AC one and will not work on 12v DC. 

Electricity is pure raw energy just waiting to get out, the only way you can be sure of what you are dealing with is to use a suitable meter. 

Hi and thanks for your replies. Before I do anything electrical I always ask the question. As I said I am not a lecky. I am quickly giving up on this issue as it seems that which ever way I turn there are, insurmountable, obstacles. I looked on the Panasonic web site for a new Toughbook and they Cost upwards of £1350, at the moment there is no way I can afford one, especially with the extras I would have to buy. All I wanted to do was power my mount, camera and laptop from my 12v 85ah leisure battery. I mean how difficult can that be!!!!

Melvin "how difficult can that be!!!!" - it isn't just needs some bits and time . Doesn't have to be expensive either.

Here's my list :-

1. 10 inch Linx tablet with keyboard - latter not required just my preference. Has three USB sockets - one micro usb,which accepts 5v 2Amp ,to power the tablet,which comes from my 12v battery (or other 12v source) via one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291523345483?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=pla-131843269266&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&googleloc=1007079&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80 - this also powers my 4 port USB hub

2. 4 Way Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V/24V http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Way-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-12V-24V-With-USB-LED-Light-Switch-FE-/231811409278?hash=item35f909657e:g:i4AAAOSwZG9WlMes which connects into one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-600W-10-60V-to-12-80V-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Module-car-Power-Supply-DE-/252052379139?hash=item3aaf7e1603:g:ZysAAOSwPcVVyGKW (this would connect to your Numax box) via one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-20A-Fused-Waterproof-Cigarette-Power-Socket-For-Motorcycle-Motorbike-/390600717136?hash=item5af19df350:g:xE8AAOSwFnFV9YtE

3. 2 X powered 4 port usb hubs plus 20m usb active cable one USB Hub plugs into the Tablet then the 20m cable plugs into hub. At the end of the 20m USB cable I plug in the 2nd USB hub - the latter is powered via the http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291523345483?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=pla-131843269266&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&googleloc=1007079&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80 as stated in (1).

4. An FDTI serial cable plugs into the Synscan handset and the USB plug goes  into the hub at the end of the 20m Usb Cable - The Sync handset is plugged into the mount.

5. The mount is powered from the items in (4 way socket splitter as described in (2) ) which powers the handset - note this maybe frowned upon by EQmod purists but i have used this method and it works - I also use a wireless Ip to IP serial connection  to remove the sync handset but that's another story.

6. Any Usb camera's or frame grabbers can be attached to the Usb hub at the mount - I use BYE for my Canon and sharpcap for a Video camera - they work from the one tablet no problem.

7. The Tablet runs Stallarium and Stellarium Scope plus EQmod , plus BYE and Sharpcap 2.7 - had no problems. Make sure you do any set ups in the day time and within the reach of the Internet to install any drivers - e.g. FDTI serial converting

Only one cable runs any distance  that's the 20M active USB cable - to my warm car(to provide 12v via cig lighter port or now days second 12v socket) or caravan normally . The 12v battery sits below or near to the mount so the only trailing wires(12v DC and USB) are local to the mount. The only bug bear is the the hubs and 12v splitter use blue leds for power indicators but are not bright and could be put in a "fish box" box.

Yes there are some minor cabling issues to be made up but surely you know a man who can if you are a bit unsure.

Costs - £250 max excluding BYE and a bit of time so it can be done and without braking the bank.

So the answer is its not difficult or expensive - and if you sorted out your laptops to run on the correct 12v to ??V voltage/Amps the cost would come down by at least £150 as you wouldn't need the tablet.

Hi thanks for the info Clive, from the list you have supplied it seems I would have to change most if not all of my current setup. The real bugbear for me is the power plug fitting into my Toughbook. I purchased a charger specific to the laptop only to find that sometime it, my laptop, was bastardised. If I could change the input plug on the laptop back to what it should be then the specific charger would fit and away I go. I have the correct cable for my mount and am waiting for a cable for my camera (from Astonomiser) so that I can power my camera from the 12v 85ah battery. 

Could this not be solved by simply using the charger you have, and plugging the 3 pin plug into a 12v to 240v inverter plugged into the battery? About £10 should buy an inverter.

Hopefully someone more savvy than me will reply quickly and tell me I'm talking rubbish :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Could this not be solved by simply using the charger you have, and plugging the 3 pin plug into a 12v to 240v inverter plugged into the battery? About £10 should buy an inverter.

Hopefully someone more savvy than me will reply quickly and tell me I'm talking rubbish :facepalm:

Not rubbish at all  it would work - just 12v to 240v and then 240v to ??v is highly inefficient (See previous threads by Glider somewhere on EMS) and not safe(imo) unless inside dry environment (in car etc - assuming we are talking dark sites else why bother with the 12v battery)    

Hi, the problem is that I no longer have a charger as I returned then after speaking to someone where I got them from and they both told me they could not help. It is the tip on the charger that did not fit into the laptop, the other end fitted into the cigarette connector on the battery ok.

Wasn't a suggesting you change your kit just   answering  "should be possible" -  lots of people doing it.  Changing the input plug can be done externally to fit the specific charger and the laptop with a short cable with the correct plug/socket on each end and making sure the polarity is correct (neg / pos etc) on the DC side .

They would not (famous last words) have changed the power requirements of the Toughbook.

In all my years in IT I have never found a laptop's power input "bastardised" - always a first i guess.

Edited by stash

When you say the socket has been bastardised, do you mean the socket is non-standard and different from the original?

If so, you could just buy another 12v charger again (same as you returned), and change the laptop side charging plug to one that does fit your laptop making sure the connection is the correct polarity.

Just don't think you should give up on it. 

Edited by Tweedledee

4 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

When you say the socket has been bastardised, do you mean the socket is non-standard and different from the original?

If so, you could just buy another 12v charger again (same as you returned), and change the laptop side charging plug to one that does fit your laptop making sure the connection is the correct polarity.

Just don't think you should give up on it. 

Thinking on same lines Pete except if it still does not work he could send it back - dont think they would except a "modified" charger plug :D