• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Big Tim Peake Thread!

Perkil8r

Okay, I thought I would start this off. There will no doubt be loads of cool and interesting stuff to come from Tim Peake over the next six months. This is the place to post related content surrounding Major Tim Peake and the Principia mission.

Nice one Mike, if anybody uses Twitter, following Tim Peake on Twitter is a great way to get info direct from space....

I was glad to see that they let the kids is my daughters school watch the launch, and all the kids have written letters to him. Good luck reading them. We even waved at him yesterday during that fleeting patch of clear as the iss past over.

Great stuff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I see Tim Peake is going to be the first Briton to perform a space walk when he replaces a failed voltage regulator on Friday 15th. Also I see stargazing live are following the mission for the 3 shows this coming week which comes as no real surprise.

I must say I thought the media would have been more active about the mission than they have been. It's a real shame they aren't making more of it, it's an opportunity to inspire the next generation!

It's typical really, a big fanfare followed by no proper back up programs, very disappointing. He's doing well and I am sure proud of him. :thumbsup:

Don't worry, the press will be all over him like a bad rash come spacewalk day!

Incidentally, did anyone watch the Royal institution Christmas lectures this year? Just catching up with them on iPlayer. Tim features quite a lot this  year. I know it's for kids really, but I still find them entertaining. Always wanted to go when I was young, never got the chance... :(

Alan

Hi I watched all three lectures and found them quite entertaining as the talks and celebrities were intermingled with demonstrations, so it kept the audience, consisting mainly of youngsters, very involved.

Watching the live stream now on Nasa Tv.

Amazing clear images from their helmet cameras.......

Well that all got a bit tense!

I'm glad it all ended well though. A couple of interesting quotes for the day I thought, The union flag has been there exploring all over the earth, now it's exploring space. And when Chris Hadfield said to school kids at Jodrell bank today that there has always been somebody living in space for the whole time the kids have been alive. Proud moment for UK Space and a very good point that makes you realise what a great achievement the human race has accomplished in the building and population of ISS.

Tim is Deffo made of the right stuff, he did a great job yesterday, very professional. He must have been grinning the whole time he was out there. It must be the pinnacle of human experience to do that!

I watched the whole of the spacewalk and it amazed me that the outside of the ISS looked even more complicated than the inside!

everything you looked at was so intricately made - an awful lot of thought has gone into the designs and manufacture of everything! Simply awesome!

it is amazing that you can 'stream' and see what is happening on the ISS too. If they go back to the moon, it will look fantastic in HD etc. Unlike the old lunar footage!

Changing subject slightly, just heard that one of the few other British born astronauts (and space walker) Piers Sellers has just been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer :(. He's only 60.

Alan

• 5 months later...

I did like his comment about "looking forward to putting on some weight";)

Alan

• Perkil8r unpinned this topic