• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Lincoln

AstroHobbyman

Hi Neil aged 44 here I have a 10 inch Reflector running on a Az-Eq6 gt mount I take pics on my phone  http://www.astrobin.com/full/228876/0/ love looking at planets and star clusters like M11 , I get frustrated with the weather and my light polluted mag 4 sky and will have to pop over to a cricket club/nature reserve sometime to see more and progress in this lovely hobby!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D ,great looking site including the snow! may be tempted sometime looking at  the stuff on sale ;)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I see you might be coming along to our first monthly meet, keep an eye on that section as if the weather ever decides to clear then meets are arranged on adhoc basis sometimes at short notice.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I see you might be coming along to our first monthly meet, keep an eye on that section as if the weather ever decides to clear then meets are arranged on adhoc basis sometimes at short notice.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Thanks for the tip Daz ,I will do that. winter sky clear with half decent seeing  = action stations

7 minutes ago, stash said:

Plus dont forget your local ultra dark site/ club ELAC - we meet every month just down the road from Lincoln http://www.lincsastro.co.uk/ and Facebook group - A very friendly bunch of yellow bellies :D

Nice to hear from sombody thats not Mardy! And after 12 years in Lincoln  I be nabbut a friendly frimfolk Surrey Capon! I did some recky a while back pegged it over to Badger for a sneck and it looked grand with Binos mikyway out  etc so I'm goin on the 9th unless its slingin! Finish work at 7 on Tuesdays so may be summit over the start time.

Guest HykehamObservatory

Hi Neil,

Welcome to EMS. I am under the Lincoln glow as well and have been forced to concentrate on planets and the moon. Thanks to this autumn weather I am also experimenting with Radio Astronomy.

Phil

3 hours ago, HykehamObservatory said:

Hi Neil,

Welcome to EMS. I am under the Lincoln glow as well and have been forced to concentrate on planets and the moon. Thanks to this autumn weather I am also experimenting with Radio Astronomy.

Phil

Good luck with the radio phil its no good having a hobby standing still , I have been experimenting with on and off axis masks , my next step is trying to video Jupiter , I had my telescope 25 years but only this year stated to push for more results trying to make the best of what I have, I am inspired by  http://www.damianpeach.com/  guy seems to push things to the limit ....your back garden soon over head power lines permitting!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWvEHg6NJM

Guest HykehamObservatory

I was also inspired by Damian Peach. I still can't get what he does out of HIS videos. You can see what comes from my garden on www.lincolnastronomy.org  Follow the observations link and the Flickr page.

Radio astronomy is mainly meteors. The Geminids peaked at over 100 per hour on the radio but I only managed to see one. It does give an interest for the cloudy nights. You can do this for under £100 nowadays.

On 19/12/2015 at 08:54, BAZ said:

HI Neil, a warm welcome to EMS

Any question's, feel free to ask away.

Enjoy the forum.

Will do, I'm just a beginner in many ways you guys have loads of experience! 

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Hi there Neil.

Welcome, hope to meet you sometime :)

Yes and me you, Bino viewing sounds like an idea that I would enjoy being sold on and like you I have a 250 Relector , I am sure you could give me a few ideas for the old 1980's girl ,its crappy but I will never sell it because of sentimental reasons, having said that I'm leaning towards a oo vx12l at some stage ...empty wallet time.  :)

Yes Neil. Bino-viewing with a Newt is a little more problematic than with a refractor / Cat type scope.

All to do with the huge chunk of lightpath they swallow up, and Newts simply don't have that extra back focus needed.

You do see 12" OO Newts come up for sale from time to time.

It was a scope i fancied before my recently purchased OO VX 10 L came up on eBay at a bargain price.

I'm currently modding it. Almost ready, just a few jobs left to do.

Its finding the time thats difficult at this time of year......:wacko:

23418458051_1c4f9977fd_m.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HykehamObservatory said:

I was also inspired by Damian Peach. I still can't get what he does out of HIS videos. You can see what comes from my garden on www.lincolnastronomy.org  Follow the observations link and the Flickr page.

Radio astronomy is mainly meteors. The Geminids peaked at over 100 per hour on the radio but I only managed to see one. It does give an interest for the cloudy nights. You can do this for under £100 nowadays.

Really good stuff has come out of your garden actually more inspiring than dp because you did yours with equipment I can aspire to.

Welcome to EMS :) Damian Peach is my inspiration also. I really enjoy planetary imaging and like to see what I can get from my garden too. Look forward to seeing some of your images :)

• Like 1