• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Elon's turn

tuckstar

Space x have successfully landed the falcon 9 first stage. Well done Elon great achievement. Even if they were technically beaten to it.

Took me so long to get a chance to post this, I've been beaten too it. Much like space x☺

Technically, you could argue that Space X did do it before, with the Grasshopper back in 2012 (although it never went above 750m high), plus the McDonnell Douglas DC-X did over 3100m back in the mid 90's (remotely piloted by none other than Pete Conrad). Good stuff, though - at least Falcon looks like a rocket, New Shepard's design is a bit "Flesh Gordon"

Alan

You have got to be fair to Elon on this one, he did it proper. Blue Origin pretty much just chucked it up in the air and watched it come back down. Elon's has been to space and deployed commercial cargo. It's a fantastic bit of engineering from both parties and it can only get better with all the crinkles ironed out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I kinda expected the technology to land it like Thunderbird one, or a fuel leak or something, would have caused it to fail, not the blinkin legs!! Very funny to watch though - perfect landing then slowly topples over as the leg bends - and goes boom! - hahaha :laugh2:

Edited by Brantuk

• 2 months later...

Ah, Pete Conrad, one of my personal heroes.  Met his wife in Kennedy a few years ago.  My partner bought me for my birthday a few years ago a large framed picture of Bean on the surface autographed by the whole crew.  Of course we lost Conrad in a motorcycle accident.  Got through his whole biog (by his wife) on the flight back.

10 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

Ah, Pete Conrad, one of my personal heroes.

Mine too. Had to make a small pilgrimage when I visited Arlington image_zpsi6brqaqv.jpeg