We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Bino-viewer

Belper site. Sort of planning a session on January 15

Bino-viewer

Hi guys.

I'm getting ready to take the Dob up to Belper for a session and have Friday 15 Jan in mind.

I'd like to see if i can bag this comet (Catalina) and on that night, it is close to Alkaid in the Dipper.

But with all this rain, i'm guessing its a bit muddy up there......?

What is the current state of play ?  

Perkil8r

It was very wet on the 20th, I doubt it is any better now seeing as how it has rained almost constantly since.

BAZ

That's the problem with that site, although it's on top of a hill it's got a a lot of clay under it and retains the water for weeks.

Bino-viewer

Definite no go then....?

Obviously, i don't want to churn the ground up or anything.

Maybe it will turn cold next week and freeze solid.......? :brr:

seven_legs

I need to get the scope, if not at belper why not wymeswold? would that be better for cars? I don't know never been.

also the day after would be better for me but could do the friday

Daz Type-R

I will wait and see what the weather is like on the day, I think I have an idea what it's going to be like :angry: but fingers crossed.

Happy for either site but I have not been up to Belper for months and really miss the dark sky, so would like to go there, so if we do go, I`m going prepared for mud.

Like Martyn and others said above, its water logged but if we use the weather and the fact its wet and muddy as an excuse not to go, then we will never get up there.

Wymeswold is better for that and we have access to the facilities at all times (as long as a key holder turns up) but it's not as dark as Belper.

Like I mentioned above, happy for either site but lets see what the dreaded unmentionable has to offer first.  :unsure:

Daz Type-R

I've got a pass out just in case, if it's clear I'm going, that comet is mine!!!!

Also need to get my focus issues sorted.

In fact, I've got a pass out for both nights.

If it's clear both Friday and Saturday I'm doing both!!!!

Daz Type-R
23 minutes ago, DaveJW said:

Friday or Saturday for me but not both! How did you work that Darren?

The weather has helped unfortunatly when I dropped into conversation that I have not been to a dark site since EMS4, she started to say I have at least been out in the back garden, I replied that does not count and voilà :) 

tuckstar

I'm thinking Saturday night. Looks a bit windy for dobby tomorrow. Of course I need my pass out stamped first. 

Set up on the driveway? The patio area is nice now, but a long way to hump the gear.

Baz, are you bringing the brew kit?

Edited by tuckstar

Daz Type-R

Saturday nights not looking good now guys and the wind does appear to be dropping tonight but even if there is a breeze I still need to get out - so unless it clouds over, rains or snows, I`m going.

Planning to get there around 7:30 - 8 ish.

Bino-viewer

Darren :  I will be going this evening (Friday)

Weatherpro (iOS) showing clear 21:00 onwards, but good all evening before that.

I will bring the Dob, maybe the refractor too.

Also my new 'heated shoe insoles' will be getting their first testing'

I'm also aiming to be there 19:30-20:00