• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Strong evidence for ninth planet

Tweedledee

Oooooh. Can't call that one a dwarf... Bit that I am bitter about Pluto's relegation or any thing....[emoji17]

I am pretty sure this idea has been around for a while

is it me being cynical by thinking they want some more funding?

I find it interesting that a theory behind rogue planets that was discussed on stargazing live last week was a larger planet had to be ejected out of our solar system for the earth, mars and maybe another planet to successfully orbit the sun, all the computer simulations that they ran would not put the planets into a stable orbit unless this planet ejection happened and calmed things down a bit otherwise the earth and the others were flung out of our solar system, i think it was also mentioned that the planet would probably had to be of a considerable size to have had this effect......and it just so happens there maybe a planet 10 times the mass of earth floating on the outer rim....

• Like 1

Oh God, it does make me laugh, the media banging on about this planet that has been discovered.........proof, where is the proof.

Sure it can be calculated, that's how Neptune was found and I still credit John Crouch Adams with that one. But for me, I am not sure. We have scopes that are capable of seeing back to almost the beginning of the universe, scopes that are automated solely for the purpose of finding objects like this, yet nothing has been seen.

If the calculations show perturbations in the orbits in the other Planets, then it should also show a rough area of the sky to begin looking for it, as Neptune did.

Personally I hope they find it, it would be amazing.

• Like 2