• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lunar Shot with 127 Mak 22.01.2016

catman161

So I recently purchased a pillar from Pete (Tweedledee), thanks Pete :) For use with my 127 Mak which was donated to me by my dad as it was just gathering dust in his garage after his whimsical foray into the word of astronomy. 

The pillar is absolutely solid as a rock and so much better than the silly tripod that comes with these capable little scopes. SO I set it all up on the patio which did not take long the I aligned on Sirius and Dubhe. Once that was all sorted I had a look at the moon and Betelgeuse and of course M42.I also had my first look at Jupiter also-I love that planet.  Then I popped the ASI120MC into the back of the scope and focused up on the moon and produced the below shot. It was just a tester really, just messing about in readiness for when I get my proper scope set back up and Graham has sorted me an adapter for my electric focuser, then it will be time for Jupiter at F18 :) 

It was the best 50% of 4000 frames. Stacked in AS!2, wavelets in registax and then a little post process in PSCS2 , just levels and curves really. 

Anyway, enough rambling here it is:

24521623166_1eb5db8b3e_o.pngMoon 22.01.16 PSP by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

comments/critique welcome as always. 

• Like 2

Thanks Stephen. Thanks Pete. Well with the big scope out of action until I get my focuser back from Graham I was just itching to get out there and the pillar made it possible :)

Nice shot Felix. The glancing sunlight has brought out that lovely upside down heart shape beautifully. You might have said it was reversed though. I was going to get an early night but spent about 30 mins trying to figure it out before it clicked. Good entertainment though! 

I won't spoil anyone else's fun.