• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Blue origin Launch. Land. Repeat.

Johnnyaardvark

5 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

That honestly looked like a 1960s scifi movie. Love it.

But without the strings or shaky background :)

Very exciting stuff :2thumbsup:

• Like 2

That honestly looked like a 1960s scifi movie. Love it.

Agree [emoji106] think that is what does it for me.

29 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

Tut !! did I get the wrong rocket? Thought it was the same one lol :)

Whichever rocket, it's all exciting stuff and even better with a bit of competition :)

• Like 2

Significant also because, as it says, this vehicle has now done it twice. The Falcon 9 that made the first successful flight and landing isn't going to be reused due to its " historical significance".

Alan

Although the technology is amazing, these are two completely different beasts. The Blue Origin is never going to be able to compete in the same market as the Falcon 9. It just isn't able to deliver the payloads of the Falcon into space, it's only intended as a sub orbital vehicle. It's a bit cheeky of Mr. Bezon to keep ragging Elon over it when the Falcon is a lot more capable and versatile. 

I haven't been able to find any verifiable payload weight for Blue Origin, but it won't be anywhere near what Falcon is going to be able to launch. Blue Origin develops around 100,000lbs of thrust where the Falcon is 1.5 million lbs. BO's first stage gets to 62 miles high, the Falcon does 124 miles and the speeds don't compare either, BO does mach 3 where as the Falcon has done 5.5 and is rated to mach 7.5.

It;s all good stuff, but once the problems with trying to land the Falcon are ironed out I think the falcon will be the vehicle of choice for orbital missions. I am not sure what the intended outcome for BO will be. It looks like it will be for sub-orbital trips for paying customers, it can only go up and back down, where the Falcon delivers to Earth orbit and will likely remain the American choice to supply the ISS.

Edited by BAZ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

Although the technology is amazing, these are two completely different beasts. The Blue Origin is never going to be able to compete in the same market as the Falcon 9. It just isn't able to deliver the payloads of the Falcon into space, it's only intended as a sub orbital vehicle. It's a bit cheeky of Mr. Bezon to keep ragging Elon over it when the Falcon is a lot more capable and versatile. 

I haven't been able to find any verifiable payload weight for Blue Origin, but it won't be anywhere near what Falcon is going to be able to launch. Blue Origin develops around 100,000lbs of thrust where the Falcon is 1.5 million lbs. BO's first stage gets to 62 miles high, the Falcon does 124 miles and the speeds don't compare either, BO does mach 3 where as the Falcon has done 5.5 and is rated to mach 7.5.

It;s all good stuff, but once the problems with trying to land the Falcon are ironed out I think the falcon will be the vehicle of choice for orbital missions. I am not sure what the intended outcome for BO will be. It looks like it will be for sub-orbital trips for paying customers, it can only go up and back down, where the Falcon delivers to Earth orbit and will likely remain the American choice to supply the ISS.

Thanks Martyn, until reading your post I didn't realise that there was such a vast difference between the capabilities of the two projects.

Your numbers really highlight those differences :2thumbsup:

Good info there re: capabilities. I originally read about the blue origin Launch via Chris Hadfield`s FB page. He mentioned that "this is what space tourism looks like" especially since this only just got into space I guess it's certainly one major application of it.

As the videos says though it's the first to have all its stages at that altitude. As for being reused it was a 2 month turn around... or am inspecting too much?

Anyhow, really impressive and I'm sure the technology is scalable. The competition is good here I guess.

S