• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Nottingham

Guest JayB

Well the phrase “All the gear, no idea!” certainly is how I would describe myself at the minute.

I have never owned a telescope previously or had the pleasure of actually looking through one, but I have always had an interest in space and for many years fancied buying a telescope, I did lots of research last year and decided I was going to buy a skyliner 200P, this didn’t happen as I spent my money on a Quad..(I am known to my friends as Mr Project).

Anyway the urge resurfaced again and within a week I became the proud owner of the aforementioned 200P. I purchased a used one off of eBay and I picked it up last Week, so far I have only managed to assemble it and it is sat proudly in the kitchen near the patio doors (to the delight of the Mrs......not). I still need to collimate the telescope, it did come with a Cheshire collimation eyepiece, which I need to get my head around even after reading several posts online.....

I’m hopeful that through the forum, with your help, I can unravel the mysteries of the universe........ or at the very least learn how to collimate the thing.... ;)

Cheers

Jay

Hi Jay welcome to EMS.

Most members start off with the Skywatcher 200P, it's a great scope and will allow you to see almost all the major objects in the sky.

As for collimation you really need either a laser collimator or a Cheshire collimator to go along side your collimation cap. The cap will be OK for a general alignment but for 

accuracy I would use either a cheshire or a laser as well.

Hi Jay welcome to EMS.

Good choice of starter scope you went for there (I`m biased), the 200P has been my first "proper" scope and 5 years later I still have it and use it regularly, so it's a keeper for sure.

Google astro baby's guide to collimation, that's a good guide, and she runs through the steps one by one but if your still struggling or if you are unsure, drop us note and we will see what we can do to help, your location says Nottingham so you cannot be a million miles from me.

Ask any questions in the relevant section and somebody will be along to answer them soon and in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

:)

Hi Jay and welcome to the forum, and the dob mob. Great scope you have and easily modded to get the best out of it. I'm in ilkeston so not far, you would be welcome to borrow my hotec laser collimator if you get stuck. There's a meet at Wymeswold this sat if you can make it.

Welcome to EMS Jay, an interesting first post. Enjoy the Forum and your new found hobby ?

Ask away if you need any further advice...

cheers!

Thanks all for your warm welcome.

Doc it came with a Cheshire eyepiece so I am going to have a go with that, thanks for the heads up on Astro Baby's guide Daz, Ive had a quick look so hopefully it will be collimated in no time. I live in Woodthorpe so about 20 minutes from Hucknall.

tuckstar thanks for the heads up on the meet, if I can make it I would love to come, whats the format for the meets, times etc and I'm assuming it depends on the weather, which since I've had the scope has been rubbish. I've just ordered a night vision torch and Turn left at Orion, so hopefully they will turn up before the weekend.

Cheers

Jay

You are more then welcome to come along Jay.

We meet at 19.30 at our darksite in Wymeswold. These are not weather dependant, if it's raining we will stay inside the clubhouse and talk and drink tea. There is a speaker normally that will talk for about 30 minutes on something astro related. If it's clear then we spend the time observing.

Click on the link below.

Wymeswold Meeting

Hi Jay, a warm welcome to EMS.

I wouldn't get to hung up on collimation, I spent an entire weekend chasing my tail round and ended up making a right pigs ear of what was a usable scope to start with. It just needs to be done in the right order and  a laser helps no end. If you get one of the cheaper lasers, (£25-60) then they also may need checking that they themselves are collimated. Some have the screws needed to tweak them, others make good cat toys.

Chuck your scope in the car if you are able to make it on Saturday, I'll bring my collimation stuff and we can have a look at it for you.

Failing that I am near Daz in Watnall, so you can either come down here or we can come over to you. Let us know.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, but it looks like you are on the right path, you just need some clear skies now.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Cheers Guys but this Saturday is looking unlikely at the minute, I'll definitely put the date in the diary for future gatherings. are you going to alternate them between Wymeswold and Belper?

Baz that's a very generous offer and I would definitely like to take you up on that, just let me know when it would be convenient to pop over and hopefully we can get a date in the diary. It would be great if it was a night with clear skies as I've still not managed to use it yet.

I was talking to my brother in-law who has had a Explorer 130P for a few weeks and he has suggested I get a filter to look at the moon, I've done a quick search on the forum and checked out whats available online and the prices seem to vary greatly with some claiming to be a moon and skyglow filter. He just went for the cheapest off of eBay, but that's not my style as I'm a great believer you get what you pay for. any suggestions, is it worth getting a combined skyglow filter or maybe a kit with say 4 filters.

Cheers 

Jay

I use the 2" version of this....

The 1.25" is only £28....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

Personally I would not get a filter set, they tend to be overpriced and are not the best of quality.

I have owned the above in both sizes, 1.25" and now the 2", in fact, I only sold the 1.25" on here the other week, you just missed out, it went quick!

12 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

I use the 2" version of this....

The 1.25" is only £28....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

Personally I would not get a filter set, they tend to be overpriced and are not the best of quality.

I have owned the above in both sizes, 1.25" and now the 2", in fact, I only sold the 1.25" on here the other week, you just missed out, it went quick!

Thanks for the recommendation..... just ordered one.

7 minutes ago, JayB said:

Thanks for the recommendation..... just ordered one.

They are good, as it does what it says on the tin, you can vary how dim it makes the moon to cater for different phases, I think 40% down to 1%, not sure on that but it is really versatile and better (IMO) than a fixed moon filter.

I also have the 2" variable polariser and love it. Like having half a dozen filters in one. Just twist and go :)

Hi Jay, welcome to EMS.  :)

I love your sense of humour, I can so relate to it.  I also have all the gear and no idea lol.