• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

10 hours 53 minutes and 15 seconds on M42 in HA

red dwalf

That is stunning rob! So much gas cloud captured. Got a brilliant ethereal quality. Will be even better when the colour is added but perfectly good as it is in my opinion. Really well done.

I wondered why we hadn't seen you in a while Rob - smashing image - looking forward to the colour and core :)

thanks all, it`s been a pain to do, i`ve thrown loads of subs away and i`m still not 100% happy with the core, i might process it a little less aggressively when i get the colour, i did some 10 second subs for the core and you can clearly see the 4 stars at the centre but i loose them when i tweek the rest.

from where i was last year i`m happy with the progress i`m making. 

• Like 1

Have a word with Olly Penrice Rob - I can't remember the thread (much less find it on SGL at the mo) - but he said short subs on the core aren't necessary - all the detail is in the stretching. I'm sure he'll expand on that for you. :)

(I'm sure he was refering to 30secs subs)

Edited by Brantuk

Why not use layer masking to put the 4 core stars in rob. That way you can tweak the rest in a separate layer without affecting the 4 core stars :)

Had a quick go with your image, it would be better obviously with the shorter subs used for the layer masking but it gives an idea at any rate. Also did a bit of contrast with high pass filters to bring the core out a bit more and add a bit of depth to the region.

Untitled-1-copy.jpg

Looks nice Mike, I'll try another method I know of where instead of layering in and bluring layers together you can rub out the top layer and then blend. 

I'll get there if it kills me L. O. L 

Kim, I have seen the thread Olly was on about.

not yet Steve, i`ve just been though my subs again and i think i`ve still got a few slightly blured ones that managed to sneak in, i stacked them again did a better job with the core, but still not 100% happy with it, maybe i`m being too over fussy with it.

if your coming to the meet Saturday i could bring the subs with me if you fancy a go at it.

LOL Rob

I know that feeling the last DSO I posted had a load of those in it and when I went to rstack it went all Pete Tong on me

That's better IMO Rob :thumbsup: Just remember though, a lot of it is personal taste. It's what you prefer that matters

I agree rob-you've drawn out a lot more gaseous detail in the exterior fields of the image and the core is more clearly defined :)

Cheers matey,

I've started on the colour, another two months, weather permitting, I should get it finished.