• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which Bins next?

Perkil8r

Well, I wasn't ready for that.....

Went outside with my old "Boots" 10 x 50 bins. I've not been out with them since I got my 200p a couple of months ago (I know, I'm bad). I was suprised how much I could see with them, although I did end up laid on my back on the slabs in an attempt to keep them and myself steady! Now it's got me thinking.... I want some new bins!

Mine are good (although I have no comparison to make) but the lens eye cups are hard, the bins are heavy, and I suspect there are better optics these days. These bins were my late Grandad's, he's been up with the stars now for 29 years, so I'm guessing these are around 33 years old or so now, I expect optics have improved. I don't want to spend too much at all, I need to leave some to buy a star lounger! (cold slabs at my age can't be good lol) I'd like something a bit lighter, comfier and better quality. Maybe Celestron 15 x 70's? what do we all think? I deally I want to spend around £50 or so, and don't mind 2nd hand if needs be.

Bins....... it's the new grab n go!

I would love a pair of Canon 18x50 IS ones, but I have no chance till I've paid for the caravan.

I agree binoculars are great. I've spent many a happy hour in the middle of the night on a lounger with my 10x50s.

You'll get some bargains on ebay.

I've been looking at some 20x80s with tripod for about £120 delivered.

You will be just about ok with 70s on a lounger handheld.

I bet the image stabilised 50mm would probably show as much as hand held 70s if you can afford them.

I have some Revelation 15x70's and they are great. You do need a sturdy tripod.

Or a clean yard brush turned upside down, and if you need to cut to suit, resting your elbows on for looking at stuff lower down.

Older Bino's are do not have to be bad, they may be a bit heavier, but that's why they are thirty odd years old, and will last for many more. The optics usually are quite good, as back in the day, things like Bino's were generally more expensive. I regularly use Mrs Baz's old Miranda's, the old Dixon brand, they are thirty odd years old, and still perform well.

Some of the Russian one's, even the old one's are exceptional, as the optics were military grade.

M44 in 15x70's takes some beating I think.

I've kind of decided on Celestron 15x70's. Earlier (now gone but not forgotten) posts suggest collimation may be an issue, so I will be on the look out for that problem. It will certainly make a difference as to where I buy from since I may have to return them if they are bad, so customer service will be paramount in this instance I guess. I should be okay as far as permission since SWMBO said if we get a collection of scopes there will be bother, well Bins aren't a scope ;)

I have read at least 4 reports of out of collocation celestron bins so it does happen, best to buy from a proper form who will replace them.

Daft question, can you not collimate bins?

(never had any so no idea.....)

Where exactly did my post go about the celestron 15x70s please mods? Did I do something wrong and it had to be removed? Apologies if that the case.

Felix

Where exactly did my post go about the celestron 15x70s please mods? Did I do something wrong and it had to be removed? Apologies if that the case.

Felix

Site went poop yesterday and we lost 18 hours of everything :( So you'll have to repost or... if your lucky google might have a cache from before it crashed

I see. Thanks eddy. No chance of google cache. I take my Internet security too seriously for that. My laptop wipes and overwrites all temporary files/cache the lot. And then the "empty" space where those files were kept is also overwritten automatically. Keeps everything running smoothly and also protects against identity theft (apparently) my friend who teaches computational intelligence at local uni sorted it for me :)

Local cache is different to google cache but I checked google and last cache was yesterday like 1am so your post isn't there :(