• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Caught up with Catalina :)

Tweedledee

Cheers Steve.

Here is a longer exposure with the same equipment as above (500 seconds) done at 9.50pm 8th Feb New Mexico (4.50pm this morning 9th our time).

More movement is visible in this longer exposure.

Catalina500s.jpg

• Like 1

Yes that's even better Pete! ?

I did have a a quick glance at the Itelescope site ...

Just be careful Pete, the 'dark side' has you in its sights...  ??

...think about all your eyepieces!!!

☺️?

What you see above is about as near to the dark side as I'm going to get. :P

Can't get my head around lights, darks, flats, bias, stacking, adjusting levels and stretching etc. etc, and I can't afford the tackle unless I flog my eyepieces and at least a kidney. :lol:

I'll enjoy looking at other peoples superb images.

• Like 1

Does it look like the core has split into two. To back this up there also appears two separate tails one emerging from each core.

I don't think the core has split, but the core looks elongated due to its movement over the 500 second exposure. The short exposure does show some evidence of two tails. Would need more time and some processing to bring out the tails better. It probably has an ionised gas tail pointing directly away from the sun and a dust tail dragging behind a little.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 23:06, Tweedledee said:

What you see above is about as near to the dark side as I'm going to get. :P

Can't get my head around lights, darks, flats, bias, stacking, adjusting levels and stretching etc. etc, and I can't afford the tackle unless I flog my eyepieces and at least a kidney. :lol:

I'll enjoy looking at other peoples superb images.

You can download a lot of image processing stuff for free. I use Deep Sky Stacker, Microsoft ICE and GIMP. Stacking and darks aren't rocket science. I read some advice about taking at least 8 dark frames and I've found it a great help. Now flats are a different kettle of fish and a source of irritation. However, you can ignore everything except light and dark frames and let DSS do the rest. Using more dark frames has been a great improvement for me, even though I've abandoned the other stuff.

Unfortunately, this is probably too late for the comet but will help you with other objects.

Thanks Phil.

That is some encouragement, and I suppose there may come a day when I have loads of spare time to have a proper crack at it.

But for the time being it really still is rocket science to me :lol: