• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

10/02/16 observing with the neighbours.

Daz Type-R

Yeah it clouded over completely about 22:10 ish so I packed up, was perfectly clear again by the time I had finished....   :angry::angry:

Nice idea getting the neighbours to understand what it is all about, and how their lighting might cause a problem :2thumbsup:

I had a very enjoyable session in the back yard till the cloud came :)

2 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

hope they remember about the lights in future

I`m hoping so too, to be honest its not that bad but if everybody just remembered to turn their own lights off, the skies might be that little bit darker.

Fingers crossed.

People are generally very careless with lights, leaving them on all around the house with curtains open and nobody even in the room. Not to mention outside flood/security lights and dusk till dawn sensors etc.

I remember when I were a lad, we only had one bulb in each room and electricity was relatively expensive. My dad used to tell me off if I accidentally left a light on in a room after walking out of it, not for astronomical reasons, but simply because it was a waste of money. Damn good policy I think. Having said that, I've just counted 23 bulbs in my lounge and 29 bulbs in my kitchen!!! :facepalm: I do try and make sure we only use what we need though.

Good plan to get the neighbours involved.  As usual i seem to be working when the nights are clear.  When I'm not it's cloudy.  Doh!

Great idea Darren, getting the neighbours on board with lighting and giving a tour of the sky to boot?

Looks like you all had a great time, including tea and biscuits too! i bet they all enjoyed it, and will now understand more about light pollution... And may well be back for more... ?