• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

pec error training on a neq6 pro

red dwalf

I've been looking to try some pec error training for my mount for a while, not sure of it's benefits on a belt modded mount but thought I'd give it a go, unfortunately I know nothing about it so can anyone in basic terms tell me what to do, and do I do it while guiding on a star or can I do it in the day ?

Many thanks.

Tried this last night, and if I did it correctly or not I'm not sure but it seemed very easy to do, takes about 40 minutes, and as soon as it's finished it starts running, you need to save the file it makes and park the scope everytime, which why wouldn't you, and once started up again it automatically loads the file and plays it, too easy, I hope, I'll try it again tonight, but my PhD graph was the best it's ever been and the subs looked great.

So many thanks for all you help with this.

I too have looked at this many time lately (and fallen asleep in the process of reading about it) when you say "automatically loads the file and plays it," does it take 40 mins again (hopefully not!) as the original training?

P.S. I have got my head round Astrotortilla and its improved my experience of finding object ,in the centre of FOV - so thanks for the info. Just need to be more accurate on set up or buy a super computer to speed up "solving".

1 hour ago, red dwalf said:

Tried this last night, and if I did it correctly or not I'm not sure but it seemed very easy to do, takes about 40 minutes, and as soon as it's finished it starts running, you need to save the file it makes and park the scope everytime, which why wouldn't you, and once started up again it automatically loads the file and plays it, too easy, I hope, I'll try it again tonight, but my PhD graph was the best it's ever been and the subs looked great.

So many thanks for all you help with this.

So long as you let it do its own thing on auto it is that easy. 

The file you save is a printable version so you can analyse it at your leisure.

Just now, stash said:

I too have looked at this many time lately (and fallen asleep in the process of reading about it) when you say "automatically loads the file and plays it," does it take 40 mins again (hopefully not!) as the original training?

P.S. I have got my head round Astrotortilla and its improved my experience of finding object ,in the centre of FOV - so thanks for the info. Just need to be more accurate on set up or buy a super computer to speed up "solving".

once you have done the pec training, you need to save the file, it will then load the file automatically the next time you use the mount, start guiding first on a star, if you don`t save the file it won`t work next time, you know if it`s working or not by looking at the sidereal button, it should say sidereal plus pec, and by clicking on the plus button on eqmod till you come to the pec graph, make sure you park the scope also at the end of a session otherwise that knackers up the training and it needs doing again, i just set it as auto, you can get more involved with it  but why, it does a good job in auto.

one other thing to do is get a good polar aglinment also, helps with guiding also.

as for astro tortilla, what a program, takes no more than 30 seconds to solve my alignment and centre, the only trouble i`m having is that if i slew to another target in the evening it doesn`t see the camera any more, so i have to close down nebulosity and restart it, which is a pain with a cooled ccd as you need to warm it up again before unplugging it.  

39 minutes ago, red dwalf said:

once you have done the pec training, you need to save the file, it will then load the file automatically the next time you use the mount, start guiding first on a star, if you don`t save the file it won`t work next time, you know if it`s working or not by looking at the sidereal button, it should say sidereal plus pec, and by clicking on the plus button on eqmod till you come to the pec graph, make sure you park the scope also at the end of a session otherwise that knackers up the training and it needs doing again, i just set it as auto, you can get more involved with it  but why, it does a good job in auto.

one other thing to do is get a good polar aglinment also, helps with guiding also.

as for astro tortilla, what a program, takes no more than 30 seconds to solve my alignment and centre, the only trouble i`m having is that if i slew to another target in the evening it doesn`t see the camera any more, so i have to close down nebulosity and restart it, which is a pain with a cooled ccd as you need to warm it up again before unplugging it.  

At the moment I dont leave my kit out - my mount hasn't been covered yet by Obsys(only a plastic dustbin) - so I guess as you seem to have to park in the home position each session I will have to wait before I go mad trying that. Mine are taking any thing from 60 secs to 10 secs depending how far i am out but i reckon i could really make it sub 5 sec by using a SSD disk to speed up processing of pics plus better Alignment - only used canon 100d via BYEOS so far. Most likely going over to Nebulosity as it supports more camera's - it seems to me!

Only problem I have found is that EQMOD rejects some of the Sync's from Astrotortilla - although Stellarium accepts it and shows it lined up - AND it can't find big objects like Jupiter :D

Edited by stash

one other thing i`ve found but had forgotten till now is that if you have any synced targets in eqmods file data base, these need to be deleted, i couldn`t get astro tortilla to work until            i removed all the targets i had stored.

Just now, red dwalf said:

one other thing i`ve found but had forgotten till now is that if you have any synced targets in eqmods file data base, these need to be deleted, i couldn`t get astro tortilla to work until            i removed all the targets i had stored.

Did that and changed to "dialogue Mode" as per manually - think its when the target is way off target and EQMOD just laughs at the adjustment. But as you say its a great piece of software.