• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Potential new purchase...

parklife2uk

I have been using a Celestron Astromaster 130eq for the couple of years now to do some casual observing and even some astrophotography. Due to an accident with the mount and the need to track my targets it's time for an upgrade - and since it’s my birthday soon what better opportunity?

Budget is limited and I will also need a new scope - I think! My primary aim is start astrophotography but I know that his will be start of a very long road and potentially very expensive. I've spent quite a long time reading the forums and various books but still need to get to grips with a lot of terminology. Therefore rather than spend a fortune straight away and have to wait a while to save the funds for a mount such as the NEQ6 PRO I thought I would go cheaper to start learning the ropes sooner.

Has anyone used or can recommend the following as a starter scope and mount:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-120-eq3-2.html

I will be using the EQ3 Pro Goto Mount.

Thanks in advance!

just a thought , if you are going to have a go at astrophotography, i checked the weight of the Evostar 120 and it appears to be 5 kg, which also appears to be the limit for the EQ3, while not trying to put you off, the mount would be at its limit  weight wise, with out the added weight of your dslr and connections, I may be wrong but personally would consider going the extra  money for a bigger mount, i use an EQ5 pro, and this struggles at times with an Olympus DSLR attached, the shakes do settle but usually as the clouds roll in, good luck anyway, Lum. 

I think you would be better off spending that money on a second hand HEQ5 and use the scope you already have to get you started. 

I agree the ST120 is a little to heavy for the EQ3 by the time you add a camera, finder, maybe a guider the scope will wobble like a jelly.

Spend your money are a heavier mount like the HEQ5 and you will be allright.

At F-8.33 you will need a reducer to get it down nearer f-5 for imaging. And the focuser is a very basic one - likely need to change it for a dual speed better  quality one. I tend to agree with Graham - aim for a s/h HEQ5 and upgrade the scope later (maybe a 130PDS newtonian) - or aim for something like an ED80. But it's all in the mount really, whichever ota you choose it's best to get the mount sorted first. Do you have Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards? Highly recommended. Hth :)

i`d go for a quality mount heq5 minimum and better a neq6, you can buy a neq6 pro second hand now for about £650, maybe £600 for a quick sale.

that mount will last you for years.

a good camera and then the scope, which does not need to be very flashy, f6 or below with a flatner or flatner and reducer would be great and a good quality focuser, that is important, i sold my altair astro doublet with a mega focuser on it for £250 and it was a stunning scope for that money.

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback.

You have only confirmed what I thought was the best route - save up for the right mount that will suit my objective.

I'll have to think of a different pressie for my birthday!!

Do you have a DSLR? There's a lot of stuff you can do with a DSLR, preferably with a zoom lens. It is better for the larger, brighter DSOs than a telescope and CCD. As for a telescope, ever thought of an 80mm APO or ED?

Yeah, I have a Canon 550d and a zoom lens. However I would really like to track the sky, hence a mount upgrade.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 22:06, Brantuk said:

At F-8.33 you will need a reducer to get it down nearer f-5 for imaging. And the focuser is a very basic one - likely need to change it for a dual speed better  quality one. I tend to agree with Graham - aim for a s/h HEQ5 and upgrade the scope later (maybe a 130PDS newtonian) - or aim for something like an ED80. But it's all in the mount really, whichever ota you choose it's best to get the mount sorted first. Do you have Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards? Highly recommended. Hth :)

Yes, I've read that book - a damn good read!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 19:32, parklife2uk said:

Yeah, I have a Canon 550d and a zoom lens. However I would really like to track the sky, hence a mount upgrade.

Yes, I've read that book - a damn good read!

I'm thinking of getting a tracking mount up and running but it only works for 30 secs. What I find with a DSLR is that there are so many potential targets that I'll never do them all.

Bagged myself a EQ6 Pro off Astro Buy & Sell - one happy chappy!!!

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well done Steve I bet you are well chuffed.

Oh yes!

It's a shame I can't use it tonight!