• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Qhy polemaster

Guest Si2504

Hi all, i was just wondering if this is available in the shops yet as im struggling to find it. Also if it is, does anybody know if it will fit on a skywatcher EQ5 GOTO mount? 

Thanks 

If anyone would have one it will be Bern at Modern Astronomy he is a QHY dealer.

As to if it would fit yours cannot see a problem but Bern will tell you for definite.

I have just checked and he is taking orders now for delivery in early March.

Edited by Graham

I've ordered one from Bern for my azeq6 and they do an adapter for the eq5 series mounts. I emailed Bern and he said all looks good for first week of March delivery.

22 hours ago, catman161 said:

I've ordered one from Bern for my azeq6 and they do an adapter for the eq5 series mounts. I emailed Bern and he said all looks good for first week of March delivery.

i've seen that they do one for a heq5 but cannot actually see one that specifically says, eq5. are they the same mount adapter?

also i was expecting them to be a little cheaper than £280. i've seen them over seas for $300 and can get them shipped to the uk with free shipping.. equivalent of about £220...

22 hours ago, catman161 said: I've ordered one from Bern for my azeq6 and they do an adapter for the eq5 series mounts. I emailed Bern and he said all looks good for first week of March delivery.

i've seen that they do one for a heq5 but cannot actually see one that specifically says, eq5. are they the same mount adapter?

also i was expecting them to be a little cheaper than £280. i've seen them over seas for $300 and can get them shipped to the uk with free shipping.. equivalent of about £220...

Just drop Bern an email and ask him directly. He is very helpful and will get back to you quickly. As for the price, I guess he has to make a living [emoji6]

• 3 months later...
On 25 February 2016 at 21:09, catman161 said:

Just drop Bern an email and ask him directly. He is very helpful and will get back to you quickly. As for the price, I guess he has to make a living emoji6.png

Hi just bought one for AZEQ5GT  fro Rother Valley Optics (came very quick) for £280 with adapter, it fits on the level bracket that the polar scope fits to, don't forget to order the Adapter plate for a AZEQ5, dead simple.

Tried out Pole master last night, had a job to find Polaris but once I found it, it was really quick. 

Now I've just got to set the ccd camera up now on the scope (just a cheap one). I didn't have much luck with that though.

New to Astronomy and still learning.

Thanks Tez

they are quite good but the accuracy may not be enough for longer exposures.  Best I could get it to do was just into the arc second range

which would do 5 min exposures but not much more.  I use it for quick PA then do proper one after. :) 

Mine arrived yesterday and I had a quick try last night. No bending down to peer up a polarscope and much quicker than other methods, EQMod etc. Had the best PHD graph I've seen from my mount.

Sheila - is that 5 mins unguided?

Yes it is forgot to say that. I don't guide much. But also hate to see rotation on images :(

Definitely having the best subs possible. What's your routine for getting PA?

Mine has to be sub 30 arcseconds really. So normally i would 3 star align, then PA, then rinse and repeat until it is as

close to 0 as I can.

I can also run a model on the GM to refine it even more

I used the polemaster for the first rough PA and as i said it was close but no cigar :lol:  just over an arcminute i think

When there is enough dark for me to do so, I'll try the drift align polar error measure on PHD after using the Polemaster and report back.

yes Ibbo once showed me that, but i can never remember how to do it :(  

I assume with guiding you can accept a much wider error on PA?

Edited by Sheila

1 hour ago, Sheila said:

yes Ibbo once showed me that, but i can never remember how to do it :(  

I assume with guiding you can accept a much wider error on PA?

yes to a certain extent

also depens on focal length

Guest Testgear

I setup my NEQ6 Pro with C11 using PoleMaster. I was getting 10 minute subs with my ATIK4120EX camera. I could never get more than 2 minutes before.

I also go through the alignment sequence twice. The second time aligning only takes a minute or two but well worth it to check its done correctly.

This 12MP image is a single 10 minute sub of M51. Debayered, stretched in PI, Brightness/Contrast and reduced in GIMP to enable uploading, keeping under 512Kb limit.

M51 10 min sub stretched.jpg