• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Focus tubes

Guest Si2504

Guest Si2504

Hi everybody. Could somebody explain the advantages of upgrading from a stock focus draw tube? I have seen a couple of upgradable focus tubes for the ed80, but i am struggling to see the benefits of upgrading the focuser. Do they give more focus travel? Better materials? Any info would be great, thanks.

As well as better materials and focus travel options you get overall better control - especially with Moonlight, Feathertouch, and Badder Steeltracks. Typically you get a rotatable focuser for image orientation, heavier payload for carrying cameras, filter wheels, oag's etc, proprietary locking mechanisms to hold focus position as the scope moves, more precise adjustment for image train centering, smoother more precise and positive focusing, rack and pinion, motor connections, etc. Check the specs for individual features - they all have same or similar with minor variations between them. Hth :)

• Like 1

Kim has it covered perfectly Simon.

How's your current focuser performing ?

The 70D you have will be a test for it , i'm sure. 

Do you have an upgrade in mind ? 

Guest Si2504
16 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Kim has it covered perfectly Simon.

How's your current focuser performing ?

The 70D you have will be a test for it , i'm sure. 

Do you have an upgrade in mind ? 

It seems to be ok, i think. I have noticed that sometimes when turninig the knobs to move the tube, it seems to slip and i find myself having to put a little pressure on the focuser whilst turning the knob to get it moving again.

I don't really have any particular one in mind, i just really wanted to know what could be gained by replacing the original focuser. I had kind of guessed that the upgradable ones probably are machined better, but thats about as much as i thought would be better.

Does your focuser have any adjust screws on it to help the focuser grip the draw tube any better?

My standard Skywatcher had one and my upgraded Moonlite has two, both of which I have had to adjust when using bigger and heavier EP's.