• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Workshop/Warm Room/Man Cave Build

Doc

A few months ago I started a workshop/warm room/man cave build so I need somewhere to document this so I thought I would entertain you guys with this build.

It is mainly a workshop and will have a lathe and milling machine installed, as it is basically a workshop made of wood I cannot justify lathes that weigh close to a ton in weight even though they are the best. The machinery will be hobby lathes but still a serious size and weight similar to the Warco WM280V lathes and the WM18 Milling Machine.

There will also be a warm room and space for my scopes and hopefully room for a grinding bench similar to what Graham has built. As one day a 20" dob will be made here.

The shed will be 16 x 12 feet.

Watch this space........

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3

Sounds excellent Mick ? It's all good stuff!

Looking forward to following the build! ?

Originally I had a little 7 x 5 foot metal shed. It was very basic but did have electric in there, which ran one light, and one plug. The idea was to enlarge the concrete base on which the metal shed stood.

So I dug out a 5 x 17 foot trench in front of the metal shed and a 1.5 x 8 foot  trench at the side of the metal shed. I dug down approximately 6".

This took me sometime as I'm not physically fit any more and as many of you know have had heart problems in the past. 

But I enjoyed it and as the doctor always tells me, a little physical exercise is good for you :lol:

The plastic pipe houses wires for the outside lights that no longer work so they will be removed.

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

Edited by Doc

After a few weeks it was done :cheers:  

I double checked to make sure it was the required 6" deep.

I placed shutter board around the edges, levelled it off so it was at the right height.

I then bought 40 bags of MOT roadstone from Wickes and placed this into the trench. It was levelled off and wacked down with a special tool I bought so I had a hardcore sub base 2" thick.

IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

That's gonna be one big shed - watching with interest :)

(Can't wait till you get to the "building a dob" part lol)

10 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

That's gonna be one big shed - watching with interest :)

(Can't wait till you get to the "building a dob" part lol)

That might be a little way off yet Kim :lol:

Looks an exciting project Mick. 

I too will be following this one closely with interest.

I'd love a project like this myself. 

Unfortunately at present, a trampoline resides in my 'mancave area' :huh:

Looking good Mick, I did a similar thing a year ago when I bought a bigger shed! Watching with interest!:)

Cheers

Ron

lokking good, Mick, give me a shout if you need any help, physical or otherwise, what you doing with your old shed ?

Old shed already gone Rob.

Bloke picked it up and is using for storing wood for his log burner.

My next job was somehow to connect the new concrete pads to the old one. So I got out my hammer drill and drilled horizontally into the existing concrete slab.

I then inserted lengths of rebar into the holes and wacked some into the floor and secured with cable ties. Now hopefully the new floor will not come adrift of the old floor.

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

Good idea Mick! Just don't trip over one! :wacko:

Man walked into a bar... Ouch, he said! :D

Good idea Mick, when's the concrete arriving, not in the snow they forecast I hope!??

Cheers

Ron

All these are older photo's Ron. The concrete is already down and the workshop is installed. I'm just posting a few photo's each day until I catch up.

I worked out that the concrete base should require 1.2 m³ it turned out to be 1.5m³ due to it being deeper in certain places.

I ordered it from Barromix so you only pay for what you use and they mix it on site and wheel barrow it in and lay it for you.

Once dried I emptied the old shed ready for dismantling.

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

Looking good Mick...

That's a big area, and it looks spot on! ?

I also like the stand for putting your tea on! ☺️

Old shed was dismantled and sold on E-Bay to gentleman to use as a log shed.

As you can see quite a large area to work with now.

Under the bucket keeping dry is the armoured cable for the electrics.

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

• Like 3

You're just building up the excitement Mick :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see the finished job. Looks like you're going to have loads of room in there. :)