• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Workshop/Warm Room/Man Cave Build

Doc

Hi Mick look for ward to seeing the finished building are you going to line it and insulate it

Stephen

That is a really impressive looking shed.

The loglap makes a nice finish and that double door will be great for getting machinery in or big dobs out :thumbsup:

That's going to be a great man cave ?! 

It's a very impressive design and size. ?

you will be looking forward to spending some quality time in there Mick! ?

Now that's an idea Kim. Not sure how I'm going to sneak a bar pass the wife though :lol:

All that... 'S P A C E '! :) 

Lovely! 

It's lighting and sockets next then Mick?

That is not a shed that is a home make's mine seem very small

Edited by Stephen

On 3/6/2016 at 14:01, Doc said:

Yes Stephen it will be fully insulated and lined with 18mm MDF and painted.

Just from personal experience, I'd be concerned about using MDF in any outside construction, due to its tendency to absorb water like a sponge. Hate working with the stuff anyway - mark my words, in 30 years time MDF will probably be blamed for lung problems like asbestos is now. I think I'd be putting a vapour barrier between the insulation and the outer wall as well?

Alan

I have considered a vapour barrier Alan.

Thanks for your thoughts, something else to consider.

When the workshop was installed I drilled a 22mm hole through the wall and floor and inserted the armoured cable.  

I then as a temporary measure so I had electric and light up there I reinstalled the original fusebox.

I started drilling holes through the uprights and threading 2.5mm cable and looping the access when I required a socket. I'm fitting 10 double sockets in total.

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

• Like 2

So with all the wiring for the plugs installed I turned my attention to the lights. As many of you know I hate wires on show so I decided to add another battern alongside the existing light battern and hide the wires for the lights inside these.

Once these were installed I secured four 58w 5ft florescent lights on the ceiling. I wired them all up and run the wire down to the junction box.

I then temporary fitted a 2 way switch. One for the lights and one for the red bulkhead light that will be used when stargazing.

I then wired the lights via a junction box as I find this is the easiest method.

I hope you can tell this from the photo's.

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

Looking good Mick. Looks like you're ready to go with the insulation from the looks of that last pic :)

Yes insulation next and then a vapour barrier.

I'm really enjoying this, gives me something to do.

It is looking great Mick. :thumbsup:

Just wanted to re-iterate Big-Als warning above about the dangers of working with mdf.

I looked into this a while back. You would be well advised to use quality dust masks, as well as forced dust extraction when working with, (sawing, drilling, sanding) mdf, and if the above safety measures cannot be properly effected in a DIY situation, then alternative material should be used. The dust can cause or exacerbate existing respiratory problems as well as causing longer term problems, and formaldehyde that is released into the atmosphere from working with mdf is thought to be cancer forming.

Although mdf can be easier to work with and provides a neater smoother finish than plywood or OSB or natural timber, it is certainly more dangerous.

Anyway, maybe you've already passed this stage and just haven't put up the photos yet.

That's moved along a bit.

It certainly is going to be a lovely work space. 

Keep the updates coming. :2thumbsup:

No not passed that stage yet Pete. That's my next big purchase 20 sheets of MDF.

I'm going to cut it all outside so shouldn't be such a problem and I do have some good dusk masks and goggles so fingers crossed.

Plywood in any good thickness costs a lot and natural timber is ouch so expensive. And never going to get a good finish on OSB so it doesn't leave many options.

Thanks Graham for your kind words.

Onto the insulation next. It consists of 3 rolls of Knauf 100mm insulation that covers approx 30 m². A vapour barrier is next on the list then followed by the boarding.

I've checked all electrics and everything works and have wired an outside security light into a spur so I can turn it on and off when I want.

Had to wear dust mask to fit the insulation, but luckily it's not made of fibreglass so doesn't itch.

I've caught up now so there will not be as many posts as quick as there has been. I don't work as quick as I used to any more :lol:

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

Well done Mick, really is looking great, starting to make me think about insulation now...:chin_scratch2:

Cheers Wayne.

To be honest I don't know if it's psychological but it does feel warmer even though it still has the vapour barrier and boarding to go up.

Go for it.