• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Workshop/Warm Room/Man Cave Build

Doc

I have two trains of thought here:

1.  I was going to build a large bench with plenty of storage and place the Warco WM 280v at one end and the Warco WM 18 Milling machine at the other end.  I was going to buy these either new or ex demo. I know they are Chinese but they do have a very good name and a lot of people like them. The price includes a lot of tooling and more importantly delivery. A deal can be struck where they place it on the floor off your workshop.

Warco WM 280V Lathe

Warco WM18 Milling Machine

2. The other option is to buy second hand British lathes and Milling machines such as Boxfords, Myford, Tom Senior, Colchester, Harrison etc. These are great and a good one will last a lifetime. But then there lies the problem finding a good one, it's worse then playing the secondhand car market. These lathes are 40 years plus old so do have a lot of faults. Then each one weights 350 Kg at a minimum, I have to pick it up, transport it over my garden and into the workshop.

Decisions decisions.

The Warco stuff is pretty good Mick.

I used to have one of their mills. I added some stepper motors and used it as a cnc machine.

It lasted me a good few years before I sold it.

I also have an old Harrison L5 lathe which I would not part with for the world.

In your opinion Graham is the Harrison L5 to big and heavy machine for a wooden workshop 16x12.

Also to consider is that most older British lathes are three phase so you need an invertor to run them them from 240v.

Edited by Doc

I would suspect the Warco ones won't be battered and you will get a warranty with them. There's not much good old English gear that hasn't been thrashed over the years and if it is in prime nick it goes for a high price. What's the availability of spares for the old stuff if you need it as well?

The Warco ones come with 12 months guarantee and of course being new spare parts are no problem.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

In your opinion Graham is the Harrison L5 to big and heavy machine for a wooden workshop 16x12.

Also to consider is that most older British lathes are three phase so you need an invertor to run them them from 240v.

Hi Mick.

Yes way to heavy. 

I had to strip it right down to get it to mine from London.

It took two of us just to carry the bed.

I reckon it must be pushing 1/2 to 3/4 of a ton in weight.

The spares are easy to get hold of.

Mine has been converted to single phase so no need for an inverter.

Started putting up the vapour barrier.

It's pretty thin material so a lot of tape is required to make sure a good seal is achieved.

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

Edited by Doc

It's like an episode of Dexter. :lol:

You are getting there Mick, not be long before the comfy chair and beer fridge are installed.

Today I laid the underlay/damp proof layer.

Then took delivery of 6 sheets of 8 x 4 foot MDF 25mm thick. Wow these are monsters and so damn heavy.

When on the floor this shed ain't going anywhere.

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, you know me pretty well I think so I would imagine my OCD will kick in before that stage.

What a day, these sheets are soooooo heavy.

Anyway all cut and secured down.

So the floor is constructed of 2" joists, 1" planks, damp proof layer, underlay, and lastly 1" MDF.

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

Damn it I knew there was something I missed :lol:

I would never use an observatory Kim. I'm not into imaging so it would be wasted.

I'm going to have a red bulkhead light and the scopes will be stored inside ready assembled.

Outside will be patio stones to set up on and the workshop will double as a warm room so I can look at the lap top etc.

• Like 1

It looks dead cool Mick - you're gonna be snug as a bug in a rug and have all your tools and scopes/computer etc at arms length - perfect.

I'm looking forward to visiting you for the grand opening :)

The way he's going there won't be enough room for more than one. I think that's the grand plan as well. :D

It looks good Mick.